• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you un-roll giant lexan sign faces?

signmeup

How do you un-roll lexan panels for lighted sign cabinets? They arrive here rolled up with a strap around them. I cut the strap and fling myself out of the way and hope for the best. There has to be a better way. Please help!

SignManiac

Staged deployment. Get a length of rope and put a loop on the end. Place the rope around the roll, and put the end of the rope through the loop. Pull tight, then cut the tape on the roll. Let out the rope until it's uncoiled enough to not kill you! At least that's what I would do :)

signmeup

Thanks Bob. I noticed you said "would do". Have you tried your method or are you looking for a guinea pig?

I have visions of the local paper next week...."Local man horribly disfigured by rolled plastic". (I've got 3 sitting in the shop for immediate "deployment"...... wish me luck!)

signmeup

I may be the first person to ever collect on one of those cheap insurance policies that you have to sever one arm and one leg on opposite sides.... I'm going to finish my tea and try Bob's "rope trick". Unless someone pipes up with a better idea. (I don't have an apprentice so that's out. I could go see if I can find the village idiot.)

TheSellOut

Good thread Karate Cake! I do the same thing as you, so hopefully someone has a better method! Maniac, I might have to try that technique next time.

Baz

Could you set up a camera before you commence your deployments! C'mon ... so we could all share the pain and laughter :ROFLMAO:

signage

Yea and make sure the camera is out of the way so it doesn't get broke! We all want to see this:ROFLMAO:

signmeup

Could you set up a camera before you commence your deployments! C'mon ... so we could all share the pain and laughter :ROFLMAO:
You're just evil. Santa forgot my video camera last year so no vid. I got 2 opened with only a minor contusion to my shin. I came in for my TKD shin and knee pads for the last one. The rope was better than just cutting the strap....

washingtonsignguy

Rolling back up is even more dangerous. Suspend yourself from the cieling, mission impossible style and cut away. I always have a helper on this thing, which helps alot.

signmeup

The third one when like a charm. I remembered my old Fuji took video so I have the event for posterity. Don't know how to post it here though. It's an avi file if that helps.

signmeup

Rolling back up is even more dangerous. Suspend yourself from the ceiling, mission impossible style and cut away. I always have a helper on this thing, which helps alot.
That won't work. The first one nearly hit the ceiling. It would have severed the rope for sure. I would have plunged to my doom.

The helper idea seems to be the best. Just give them a pair of shears and go "get the coffee"... yeah... that's the ticket....