• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How does my FX recognize how much foil is left on a spool?

_Neil

A friend recently gave me a bunch of partly-used Edge II foil cartridges and I experimented with unreeling one and re-reeling it onto an FX cartridge spool. It worked great, except that I did not recognize how much feet was left.

On another note, I've put in spools that have 3+ yds left, but the FX recongnized it as only a couple feet.

So what mechanism does it use to recognize the length of material left?

Thanks.

Drip Dry

Don't know how to determine the length, but there is a caddy you can buy for the FX and put the old cartridges in.
Beats unrolling and re-rolling

jfiscus

Rap Master
There is a little (RFID?) chip/counter that is behind the label on the EdgeFX cartridges. it isn't 100% accurate. The standard Edge foils have the length remaining printed along one edge of the material.

_Neil

There is a little (RFID?) chip/counter that is behind the label on the EdgeFX cartridges. it isn't 100% accurate. The standard Edge foils have the length remaining printed along one edge of the material.

Yes, RFID in the thin "bar" on the pickup-spool end, but that's just to recognize the color. A gerber tech rep told me about this so swapping it allowed me to run Fireball red even though my Omega 2.6 doesn't know of that color.

I was expecting the printer to recognize that dot-matrix-printed remaining length on the edge of the foil, but being quite incorrect, I suspect it may be based on diameter of the spool left or something else. I'll probably go to signs expo here in Orlando in a couple weeks, so I'll have to pick someone's brain on this.