• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how does one determine if you need a new head?

gabagoo

I ask this as lately just about everything I print has these somewhat darker lines being printed on the overlapping sections. I have run media compensation and this morning ran a print adjustment. It is very noticeable in solid colours and although maybe most customers would never see it from 2 or 3 feet away it just isn't right.
Could it be a head going?

What else can I try.

I ran 1 hour nozzle wash this morning and outside of 2 lines in cyan, everything is printing. ( the cyan problem has been there since about day 1)

BobbyFosson

Include an image of your nozzle test. Any environmental changes in your shop lately; temperature, humidity, etc ?

Same media as before? Same profile as before?

Case

Let's see the test draw..... Perhaps there are only 2 nozzles missing........But how many nozzles looked deflected?

Case

Rooster

Two things to try before a new head.

Clean the encoder strip (free)

Replace the dampers (you'd do this when changing a head anyhow).

Is it doing it across all medias or just one? If it's just the one you're probably looking at a media issue instead.

Case

Two things to try before a new head.

Clean the encoder strip (free)

Replace the dampers (you'd do this when changing a head anyhow).

Is it doing it across all medias or just one? If it's just the one you're probably looking at a media issue instead.

I agree with this.......Always clean the encoder first.......Alcohol will work...

Clogged dampers could also cause ink flow restrictions, drop out of ink in printing, etc..........

Case

gabagoo

I tried taking a pic with my Blackberry but it is to hard to see.

OK this encoder strip..I think it is that metal piece that looks like it has strange patterns running thorugh it that sits just behind the black belt...is that correct? Clean it with a dry lintless rag? Swiffer?

in the print test there are 2 small blue bars that never print

In the yellow I cant tell as the colour is so light, hardly see anything.....but they look ok from what I can tell.

Could it be a heat issue? I have started to run my prints at 45/ 40 which is about 5 degrees more than I used to as I feel it makes the ink adhere better.

Case

the encoder strip is the clear strip, not metal........ you can clean it with a lint free cloth and alcohol.......

Also to see the yellow in the test draw, a blue led light helps to see it...

Case

gabagoo

Thank you Thank you Thank you

Love this place.. Will slowly try all methods

I do need to change the capping station. It has been 3.5 years.
I am meticulous on maintenance and basically do stuff every day.

Patrick46

Hope this isn't off topic, but...

how does one determine if they need a new head???

well...my wife sure thinks that I need a new head...and she keeps reminding me of it too! :doh: