• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How high can I install an aluminium sign?

solantis

I need to install a 3m x 3m aluminum frame with stretched PVC about 6m high. I intend using coach screws to bolt them to the wall. Would there be any negatives to this approach as someone mentioned that aluminium should not be installed that high?

letterman7

No reason at all you can't install aluminum that high. Skyscrapers have aluminum on them. As long as it's secure to the wall, why not? I'm not quite following your terminology with 'stretched' and 'coach screws' though..

Billct2

Yea, the lingo isn't familiar, but no reason a sign that is constructed and installed correctly can't go at any height

2B

the location tag list South Africa, so I am assuming it is a language difference
http://blog.mutualscrew.com/2015/07/07/what-are-coach-screws/

the mention of stretched PVC, makes me think of banner.

as mentioned the frame MUST BE SECURE
if you are using a "banner" material again make sure it is secure, also make sure the wind cannot get behind the material creating a sail with wind drag

unclebun

Just curious what the rationale was for not putting aluminum at a certain height. Is it that the air is too thin and the aluminum gets hypoxic?

Johnny Best

When I first saw coach screw my mind went to Roy Rogers and Dale Evens getting it on in the stagecoach, or Matt Dillon and Kitty.

webguru

Lag screw

Lag screws, also called lag bolts
Lag screws (US) or coach screws (UK, Australia, and New Zealand) (also referred to as lag bolts or coach bolts,

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Beat me to it!
Though I was going to recommend avoiding installing aluminum signs if you're high enough to see sounds and taste colors...

I can see Cheech and Chong working just like my guys on a bucket truck. One yelling from the ground, 'It's me, Dave", the other answering without looking, "Dave's not here man..."

I'm surprised at the amount of ppl here that do that stuff...then again they are "sign artists" and artists have been known to be a little dopey.