• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How how how??

PMG

Doug check mail,ive been up for 30 hours and need to get to bed the suns up again YIKES ,LOL this could be the problem,Thanks for your Help!!!!

PMG

Well Doug,i see what your talking about after its uploaded it is saving it with Index colors,,but i am saving it in RGB within PScs2 ,but like i say when its uploaded it shows index colors,,Fred you have any clue to what is happening???

PMG

well i think i have it now,,i just made a new file and pasted the old in it,and now it looks like it went to transparent!!! I still see a white edge? Could this be because of the drop shadow?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Well Doug,i see what your talking about after its uploaded it is saving it with Index colors,,but i am saving it in RGB within PScs2 ,but like i say when its uploaded it shows index colors,,Fred you have any clue to what is happening???

The specification for the GIF format calls for Indexed Colors. Photoshop or Imageready will automatically convert them when you generate the file.

If you're going to be doing any amount of this type of designing, I would recommend that you switch to Flash movies. My Express Clipart site uses two and the file sizes are much smaller along with the effects and controls being much better. Examples are the green ticker tape and the clipart animation seen HERE. The clipart movie contains 10 separate image sets, all of which are animated and totals 305kb. Your animation if done in Flash would probably be well under your size limit.

I must have tried out around 2 dozen products for this and even bought and abandoned one. The one I ended up with and am absolutely pleased with is SWF Quicker. It has a small but easy learning curve to it. They offer a free trial download and tutorials.

iSign

well i think i have it now,,i just made a new file and pasted the old in it,and now it looks like it went to transparent!!! I still see a white edge? Could this be because of the drop shadow?

as far as the white goes, I see it in one of your screenshots & not the other, but I would remove it from a layerd version so there is absolutely no white. In my earlier example, & pulled down the gif from your sig & removed the white with the magic wand, so it got fuzzy by the shadow as to what it saw as white... still looked ok, but on yours you did a few other things I question.

Your current sig has a larger shadow, that doesn't add anything IMO... and then it is cut off with a sharp line which ruins the effect entirely. You also have a bigger logo, which might be fine for your website, but for a signature that shows up a dozen times in some threads... you might consider cutting back on that a bit :wink: ..not trying to run you around... just sharing an opinion, and getting some receptivity to it... I keep sharing :rolleyes:

I got your email, & the .psd file with no white in it looked like a 3 or 4 click "save as" operation to get what I would expect to work, so lets see...

PMG4.gif

iSign

hmm... I was just out the door when I logged on to see if you got this handled... now I see that your one screenshot was from the "save for web" window & that's where it's putting that halo of white around it.

My earlier 5 minute success last night was from you old file that allowed me to leave the first checkbox in the .gif save dialog box set to "exact"

The .psd file you emailed me won't offer me that choice. "Exact" is greyed out & I think it said 256 below that, but on the "exact" one it said something like 104 ... anyway, as you can see the new one made that shadow go ugly black with a hard edge. I tried altering color management settings and other guesswork... but I can't figure it out. Learning can be fun.. but you can also feel free to grab the one I did & use that if you want:rolleyes:

...gotta go get my coffee :Sleeping:

PMG

:thumb: Thanks for all the advice you guys give,, i will admit i have a lot to learn still,so i guess i need to get my nose on the other screens LOL, guess the old saying is true,if your not learning your not earning!!!!!:thankyou: :signs101:

drakesis

I am making my first animated gif. and iam trying to save it as low as i can get it,but cant get it below 370 KB with out it looking worse. I need to keep it at 90x728 and have used every option in the (save for web) but when it saves it smaller it looks worse...........!

You really have to reduce the amount of frames or colors.
Here's a reduction in color to 16, with a 1% Diffusion - Dither.
It's 167Kb, and the image quality isn't too bad at all.

Attachments

• PMG-AD-BANNER.gif
    PMG-AD-BANNER.gif
    167.6 KB · Views: 126

PMG

Thanks ill give it a shot,I'm still trying what Isign was explaining,its a fine line on having a cool animation,and trying to keep it a certain size that the webmasters want them to be(Because of Dial up connections:Sleeping: )

drakesis

Thanks ill give it a shot,I'm still trying what Isign was explaining,its a fine line on having a cool animation,and trying to keep it a certain size that the webmasters want them to be(Because of Dial up connections:Sleeping: )

Another option would be to do the whole banner in Flash (SWF) with vectors.

You can pull the off the same effects, but have it at only 10-15kb.

A good flash maker is "SWiSH Max"

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
PMG, I echo Fred's recommendation of using Flash, particularly for the animated GIF you posted. You can move graphical objects in and out of the "stage" very smoothly unlike the stuttered start-stops that tend to occur with GIF image animations.

Current SWF Flash players fully support both vector and bitmap images. You can use bitmap objects with alpha channel masks or vector-based masks. FlashCS3 will support just about any effect from IllustratorCS3 and will preserve and even animate layers from a multi-layered Illustrator or Photoshop file.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
PMG, you can further optimise gif files for the web if you slice them up, as you may find certain segments can handle a heavier degree of compression without important loss, and you keep the better detail for the text where it is needed.
You'll need to read up on slicing, though.
I'm not sure your actual pic would benefit much though, either. In other pix, it can help a lot.

PMG

:thankyou: guys..............I bought SwishMax.........so now i need to figure this program out,i will post a new version when i GET-R-DONE!!!!!