• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Important is it to Stick to Recommended Overlaminates?

SCDesign

I want to use a cast metallic vinyl (either Oracal 951 or Gerber 220) for a project, but I need to be able to laminate it. Neither of these products' specs indicate recommended overlaminates. Could I just use any quality cast laminate? We have some 3M 8509 and 8518 lying around. Generally we stick to using laminates that are recommended by the products' manufacturers, but I really have no idea how important it is to stick to that. We could really save a bit of money outside of this project, too, if I could risk switching up the laminates a little more. Does anyone advise against this, or is it something you can get away with?

We use a latex printer, but for this project, the material will be unprinted. I'm not sure if that makes a difference on this topic. Thanks for any advice

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Under normal circumstances die-cut vinyl does not need any lamination whatsoever.

You say you are not printing, so what needs to be laminated.... or why do you think it needs to be laminated ??

SCDesign

It's being used as a floor graphic. We need to laminate it in order to lightly abrade it so that the floor finish will adhere. Normally we don't make floor graphics with this type of material, but the paint failed, and we also can't create the metallic look the customer wants by printing it on our normal substrates.

We are also cutting it on a plotter instead of die-cutting. I'm not sure if that makes a difference for this application but it might be worth mentioning.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would venture to say a good cast floor lam would do the trick. Ask BigFish..... a Merchant Member here.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes. If I see him at the club later this afternoon, I'll tell him to give ya a call..................

MikePro

mix & matching has never been an issue for me, as long as the top layer is better or equal quality to the bottom layer.
laminate with cast, and you should be just fine.