• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How is this effect created...

DavidLSI

I am not sure of the proper jargon for this, so my searches are not yielding any results. I have project and I am trying create a "Frame" like the one in this picture. The oval 3d bevel is that part I am pointing out.

Working in Illustrator C4

So...
if you know what it is called that would be a great help
if you know of a tutorial on this you could point me to that would be even better.
or if you wanted to type out the steps I would :notworthy: bow and be thank full for your efforts.

Thank you for any advice....
DavidLSI

Attachments

• P3230355.jpg
    P3230355.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 122

ABPGraphics

Well, I would call it exactly that, a frame. I'm not sure about Illusrator but how I would do it is create the basic shape in flexi out of just plain black rectangles and an oval, cut the center of the oval out with smaller oval and then use that oval to mask your jpeg that way you get the nice round jpeg that fits perfect in the center of your frame. Then I would import the frame portion into photoshop and emboss it and drop a shadow, Voila. Sound complex but it could be done in less than 5 minutes.

signgal

Well, I would call it exactly that, a frame. I'm not sure about Illusrator but how I would do it is create the basic shape in flexi out of just plain black rectangles and an oval, cut the center of the oval out with smaller oval and then use that oval to mask your jpeg that way you get the nice round jpeg that fits perfect in the center of your frame. Then I would import the frame portion into photoshop and emboss it and drop a shadow, Voila. Sound complex but it could be done in less than 5 minutes.

I was thinking the same thing completely.

Vinylman

Here's a sample

Here is a three minute sample I threw together in a program called Typestyler.

Attachments

• OVAL.jpg
    OVAL.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 107

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
the bevel effects in illustrator will not look like the effect shown in the original sample. This is a 1 or 2 click job using layer effects in photoshop.

It is not impossible to do, but rather requires so many steps that it rarely makes any sense to use Illlustrator/vectors

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Seems like you could get pretty close using the bevel tool in Illy without plug-ins or too much work.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• illy-cs3.jpg
    illy-cs3.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 137

Mike Jackson

Hi,
That effect would be EASY in Photoshop using a plug-in called Eye Candy 6. You'd just take in a tan shape and apply a bevel (button, emboss...etc) of the right amount. Done. In Illustrator, you'd have to create most of the major divisions and apply gradient fills of the appropriate colors. I am not sure if Illustrator will use Eye Candy filters. I've never considered it or needed it there.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Hi,
That effect would be EASY in Photoshop using a plug-in called Eye Candy 6. You'd just take in a tan shape and apply a bevel (button, emboss...etc) of the right amount. Done. In Illustrator, you'd have to create most of the major divisions and apply gradient fills of the appropriate colors. I am not sure if Illustrator will use Eye Candy filters. I've never considered it or needed it there.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson

You don't need a plugin. The bevel effect is built into photoshop already

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Also the reason AI is not the proper place for these types of bevels is because the tool does not work flawlessly. See the attached image of a letter with the bevel applied. It works ok on simpler shapes but some lettering and sharp corners gets a bit funky

Attachments

• ILLY.jpg
    ILLY.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 117

Mosh

All bevel tools get funky on detailed stuff. We do the bevel then node edit it, or in this case just make it.
Reverse weld some ovals pretty simple. I use the bevel in Corel or signlab myself.