• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How land the big sale and keep the customer coming back

LoudPrinting

Hello all,

I hope everyone is having a happy holiday season.
I wanted to mention a sales tactic that I have found to be very effective.

We all know the big fish we want to catch...whether it be a print production manager at an ad agency, a purchasing agent at a large corporation, a regional manager of a retail chain, a marketing manager of a professional sports team, event coordinator of a large convention or some other person that is in a position to order a TON of stuff.

How do you go about landing that big sale? And MORE importantly, how do you keep them coming back?

Here is a process that I have found effective.

The first step is to find out who that person is. You need a name and a phone number. This is usually as easy as looking on the company website or giving a call to the company and just asking about that position.

The next step is calling that person. When calling them, it is important to be positive, friendly and direct....and if possible a little funny or unique. Something to the effect of "Hi, my name is so and so from so and so company. I heard that you are the one with all the power there. (said in a fun manner..this usually gets a laugh) I do large format printing and wanted to see if you have a second that I could come meet with you." I would say that 4-6 people out of 10 will let you come by (remember sales is a numbers game! YOU WILL BE REJECTED!! However, with the rejections there will be some that LOVE you)

So you arrive at the meeting in a shirt, tie and slacks (equivalent for women). You will only have about 10 minutes with the person, so you have to make sure you know what your goal in meeting with that person is. You goal is NOT spill out as much info about your company as you can. Remember facts tell and benefits sell. You want to tell the benefits of your company, which are that you are friendly, helpful, reliable and just get the job done right. Provide the customer with YOUR cell phone number and tell them that they can call you anytime. The key is to use the phrase "I want to be on the speed dial of your cell phone and be the first one you think of calling anytime you need printing..whether it be one decal or 1000 banners. And even if you need something besides printing, I know of a lot of resources and would love to help you out."

VERY SELDOM will they make and order right then and there with you. This is for two reasons...they most likely already have a vendor and they don't have a project at the moment....You can overcome both of these by doing the following. Sending a thank you card and check in regularly after that..BUT NOT IN AN ANNOYING WAY. Try to be funny and nice in your follow ups. Send a funny thank you card. Stop by with doughnuts. Never just call them and say "How are you? Do you have any printing for me now?" This is the worst thing you could do.

You cannot force them to call you, but sooner or later they will. And you know what? You MUST treat that phone call like gold. You have to go above and beyond anything they ask for. If they want a banner printed, print it immedialty and drive it to them before the end of the day. If they have a question about a product stop everything, get in your car and go meet with them. If they have a project in mind and want your input, stop everything and get in the car to go see them. This is where the sale happens!!!

The goal is to impress them SO MUCH that they get a feeling of "Wow, it's like instant relief when I call this guy...he is on my side..we are a team!"

When you can impress a customer to that point, you have started on the path of winning them over. But don't stop there! you need to keep going out of your way to impress them. You need to treat them like gold. Even if they need help on something that is not sign related, you need to be there helping. After all, this is a person that can bring you thousands and thousands of dollars of business. Heck, I would even wager to say that all you need is 10 HUGE accounts rather than 100000 small accounts and life is a lot better.

I know that my retail business has been built on a only a few clients, but each one of those clients orders a TON of printing.

I hope that provides some valuable input to you all.

Matt at LP

Last edited by a moderator:

QuickSignsSA

This is one difference about this merchant members. He gives you tips and tricks on how to sell his product, and well, your product! I have not seen that too much with any other merchant members, but i have not been here very long either.

Jillbeans

An occasional reach-around works wonders too.
:Big Laugh
Just teasing.
Any type of sales advice is always welcome, I have never been very good at it.
Love....Jill

hoppers

I read the whole thing without realizing it was a MM till the last line...that is good salesmanship right there ;) We get more sales, you get more sales....I like how you work LP - thanks.

ChicagoGraphics

A tie? A dress shirt? Slacks? What are thoes, I don't wear that type of clothing, maybe I can Rent-a-suit.

Thats what sales people are for, so you don't have to waste time bending over backwards for new clients.

TheSnowman

Yep, you nailed it. It's all about butt kissing at first, and making them happy, then keeping them happy later w/o letting them walk all over you, and have them still trust you.

sarge

this is what my wife lives by

SALES STATISTICS

48% of sales people never follow up with a prospect
25% of sales people make a second contact and stop
12% of sales people only make three contacts and stop
ONLY 10% of sales people make more then three contacts
2% of sales are made on the first contact
3% of sales are made on the second contact
5% of sales are made on the third cointact
10% of sales are made on the forth contact
80% of sales are made on the fifth to twelfth contact

i know after i see them 2 times i say screw em .. thats where janice comes in .. but as a rule i dont do cold calls .. my wife thinks i am an aquired taste most people would spit out .. soooo .. she keeps me in the shop with 2 good lookin women while she collects the money and finds the jobs .. gives me money for my boat, fishing & gas for my el camino

wrapman jamz

Now Sarge, Janice has the true facts on sales! It's not how slick one can be, but how memorable. 5 to 12 contacts constitutes a "relationship" and people love to buy from "Friends" That is goooood stuff man!

sarge

Janice is my wife and God blessed my sons and i the day she came into our lives .. she is a remarkable woman .. and pretty handy around the biz to boot!

imagep

I don't need more customers, I need less competition giving the store away

I kinda have a similar feeling: I don't need more work, I need more profit.

We could possibly double our work load in a year if we negotiated with customers and matched or beat competition prices. But we wouldn't nessasarally make any more profit.

Signalaugh

Matt is right. Remember we are all salesmen/women in some way shape or form. If you love what you do and want to grow your business, then you have to sell

LoudPrinting

Tips

I hope these tips have worked out for everyone. Since this post, we have gained many large accounts just by following this simple pattern. Remember that selling is a game of numbers.