Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long after painting can vinyl be applied?

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by kfinnn, Oct 26, 2010.

1. kfinnn

kfinnn Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I have a client with a harbor shuttle boat that wants vinyl lettering and a print-contour-cut decal. He is painting the boat and wants the lettering applied the day after it's painted. How long should paint cure before applying vinyl? This is an ocean craft.

Tags:
  2. AUTO-FX

AUTO-FX Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2010
    72 hours MINIMUM for catalyzed urethanes is good. if you dont wait long enough and the paint is still releasing solvents, they will become trapped forming bubbles which; A) may not go away completely B) may attack the adhesive and cause failure. If it hasnt been baked or it is a not a two part paint- who knows. depends on the paint.

3. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    If the paint is not cured in a heat booth at LEAST 72+ hours. If it is heat dryed you
    can letter as soon at it is cool enough, I have done some just hours after being sprayed and they are still running around looking good.

4. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    That's assuming he's using urethanes for painting. Not enough info here - what type of paint? If it is urethane, then yes, 72 hours is a good minimum, though I've lettered in far less time (and let the client know that's not recommended). If it isn't a urethane but possibly an epoxy, polyurethane (not catalyzed) or enamel based paint - 1 week at a minimum.

5. wetgravy

wetgravy Guest

with your oil based paints and enamels I normally suggest 2 weeks if not heat set. within that time frame you can literally rip the paint from the surface with even transfer tape (had it happen with a van that the client who didn't want to wait the 2 weeks ... luckily i told him what could happen if he wanted to rush the drying.) if you are gentle ... 72 hours is a good amount of time ... gives it the chance for the solvents to dry up a little.

6. Gordy Saunders

Gordy Saunders Member

Sep 27, 2006
    I would wait a month. I have never had good luck with anything fresher than that. I just removed some vinyl from a vehicle that I letter shortly after it had been painted. Vinyl has been on it for two years. In many places the vinly pulled the paint right off with it. The customer is the one that demanded it to be lettered that soon so he's the one that has to live with it.