Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how long after painting

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by night eagle, May 29, 2012.

1. night eagle

night eagle Active Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Crowley tx
    i have a possible job on a lrg 18' truck. apparantly the truck will be freshly painted and the guy is not even using automobile paint. customer says the paint shop oks decals after 3 days with paint they are using.

obviously i have given the potential customer tons of warnings and redflags but he his bound and dertimined to do this.

anybody have any experience in placing lrg decals on vehicles after shortly after painting like this...

lol sorry but it sure seems like im walking into a poop storm with this...

mark galoob

Tags:
  2. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

the 1st thing i see that puckers my butt:
    " the truck will be freshly painted and the guy is not even using automobile paint."
    NOW THE NEXT MOVE HERE....... for me would be TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! I WOULDNT TOUCH THIS WITH A 10 FOOT POLE.
    2. the owner of the truck and the guy painting the truck...........is an example of WHEN 2 FOOLS MEET!!!!
    the owner looking for the CHEAPEST paint job, the guy doing the paint job for CHEAP!!!!
    NOW, you gota have more I.Q. then is between these 2. do you really want to get in the cluster *****???

3. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    The instant tape pulls off paint you will be the bad guy.

4. night eagle

Mar 9, 2009
    Crowley tx
    yup, i told him this and he is willing to risk losing paint. i recommended banners till the paint has time to cure but he is bound and determined to do it...

mark galoob

5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I would use painters tape & app fluid.

6. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    i wouldnt do it. he is just in a hurry to get it done and not being cautious, let the risk lie on someone elses back

7. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Ive vinyled over Imron 5000 & 6000 a couple of days after with no problem. But whats this "not even using automobile paint" crap?! House paint? Latex?

I would pass...

8. Red Ball

Red Ball Very Active Member

Aug 20, 2008
    IRVING, TEXAS
    ...seems like im walking into a poop storm with this...

You got that right.

9. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Lettered one two weeks ago that had been stripped and sprayed with Rustoleum Industrial Enamel the weekend before. No problems at all and the paint looked outstandind.

Still a crap shoot so if you do it test it a lot first and make sure you explain it's not your fault if anything happens.

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Sometimes, ya just wanna do a job, because it's gonna pay well, so if the guy wants to be a clown and do all the initial work wrong, simply tell him, you won't promise a thing, but it will probably work. If not, no hard feelings and HE pays to fix damages and if you have to do anything over again.

Then slop as much liquid stuff on there and try not to let any application tape hit the truck for very long. Spray the livin' snot out of the other side of the tape when it's time to lift it and you shouldn't have any problems.

Make sure you quote him high to at least make the stress worthwhile.

11. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    If you do, do it make sure you have everything in writing, I see a disaster in the making.

12. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    3 weeks, no warranty.

13. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Oh yeah...if you do it get paid up front. You'll have a hard time collecting if applying it rips off the paint.

14. night eagle

Mar 9, 2009
    Crowley tx
    yup, i have listed ALL the bad things i can think of that would happen with this one to him and tried to run him off but he wants to pay me to do it...i even told him no refund at all for any reason, and im not responsible for any damages to it...ill put that all in writing also...

i tried to get him to just print some banners and let the paint sit awhile and he doesnt want to do it, so i guess i better get a snorkel...lol

mark galoob

15. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Put everything that you said into writing and make him sign off on it.
    I always make the client wait a month no matter what they tell me.
    Love....Jill

16. MakeMyGraphic

MakeMyGraphic Member

Feb 21, 2012
    San Diego
    What if you suggest using the Decal as a masking prior to the final paint and then have them paint and remove the vinyl decals after the paint has dried ?

17. heyskull

heyskull Very Active Member

Sep 2, 2007
    UK
    For my bit I would say to him, " due to the likely event of the paint job failing and you pulling paint of I would insist on payment up front".
    Obviously he has had this painted very cheaply and I would more worry about how much preparation their was prior to the application.
    If it is an oil based paint it could be months or even longer before it is suitable to letter!!

Get your money upfront and warn the customer you want no bad mouthing afterwards.

SC

18. trik

trik Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Yuba City, CA
    Not automotive paint??? Ouch! We have done cars the same day, but they were dried(baked in a booth) with the painter taking full responsibility that the paint had cured. Had the customer and painter sign off on the ok to apply, all was fine. But like everyone has mentioned, this just sounds scary. Hate to turn work away but you need to look at what may happen down the road, and what it might cost you, even if you get them on today just fine. good luck!!!!

19. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Run Forrest RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do this job you will find yourself muttering: "Touched by the hand of Satan"

20. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I love poop