• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long can a Roland sit idle?

I am preparing to purchase a solvent or latex printer within the next few months so I have been doing some research. I am a full time firefighter so I am only in the sign shop 3-4 days a week on average. There may be times that the printer sits for a week or a week and a half without printing. I was almost sold on finding an older HP latex machine due to the fact they can sit idle for longer periods but I would really much rather have the 42" and they are tough to find. A 30" Roland would also handle almost everything I need it to do, but I am worried about what will happen if it sits for more than a few days. For those who have Roland printers, how long can they sit idle without printing? I would be able to leave it plugged in at all times, but it will not be printing every day.

player

As long as the caps and wipers are in good shape, and you do a manual clean every week, you should be good to sit for as long as you want. It is good to also do a test print once a week, as well I have set up CMYK blocks 6" x 54" x each colour that I print to move some ink.

34Ford

You can setup a self cleaning in the menu. My SP-540i comes on ever so often, even surprises me once in a while.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick replies. That was the only thing holding me back from looking at Rolands. I guess now it will just be a matter of what I can find the best deal on, whether it is a 30" Roland or a 42" HP.

player

Why not go with a 54" model? You would get a good deal on an SP540V for not much more than an SP300V.

Then you could do full 4' x 8' signs, large banners etc.

Why not go with a 54" model? You would get a good deal on an SP540V for not much more than an SP300V.

Then you could do full 4' x 8' signs, large banners etc.

Mostly limited space in my shop. But I almost never have a need for anything that wide. I do specialty work- fire apparatus graphics and metal fire helmet shields. I also do a little bit of truck lettering. I do not do banners, and rarely make any large signs. The printer I buy will spend most of its time printing helmet shields, fire dept. car tags, and truck graphics. I know what you are saying though, I would love to get a 54" printer because I know it would be nice even if I only need that extra capacity every once in a while. I'm just not sure it is worth having to work around it in the shop. But then again, I guess it is only technically 2 feet wider than a 30" machine... its something to think about for sure.

player

Mostly limited space in my shop. But I almost never have a need for anything that wide. I do specialty work- fire apparatus graphics and metal fire helmet shields. I also do a little bit of truck lettering. I do not do banners, and rarely make any large signs. The printer I buy will spend most of its time printing helmet shields, fire dept. car tags, and truck graphics. I know what you are saying though, I would love to get a 54" printer because I know it would be nice even if I only need that extra capacity every once in a while. I'm just not sure it is worth having to work around it in the shop. But then again, I guess it is only technically 2 feet wider than a 30" machine... its something to think about for sure.

You could also look at the new machines with white and metallic inks. You could print some really nice metallic decals, or print solid colours on gold foils. etc.