• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long can go without printing

ahgrafx

So we are majorly slowing down here at work and I'm wondering how long can I go without printing on the 1604 and 1624 to be in the safe zone. Should I be printing a test print everyday to keep them in optimal condition?

ahgrafx

I'm getting a lot of ink draining in the little pad that the head rests in. When I do go to print it drags wet ink across the print so I have to clean out the rest area and the head before printing, is this due to non-use?

tgrinds

Make sure pad is draining drawing ink correctly and there is a good seal around head. Otherwise, cap might be drying up. You can put the machine in sleep mode where it will wake up and do a clean when you're away. This stops the head and cap from drying.

player

Probably a good idea with any of these printers to print at least 2 or 3 times per week and stay on top of the cleaning and maintenance.

If something screws up and it is dormant for weeks it could be a real problem...

MagnetStew

There is a menu setting to where you can set it to do an auto cleaning anywhere from 0-1440 minutes. I have mine set to every 240 minutes (4 hours). This keeps them good to go on weekends and slow print weeks.

FatCat

Like you, we have a 1604 and 1624 here and they are usually pretty easy to keep them up, even when things slow down and you're not printing all day, every day. I would advise running them as often as you can. It might be a good idea to run some promotional items, small banners, etc. for your shop? Or perhaps donate a few banners to local churches, or non-profits that will both help you and them…?

Regardless, the key is that the cap top is in good condition making a tight seal with the head, and also that the drain lines are clear and free from any clogs or blockage. I have no fear leaving mine turned off for 3-4 days at a time, again condition of cap top and knowing your drain lines are clean is key. When you fire them up do a quick wash, print a little something to keep the ink moving in the lines and shut them back down. Eco solvent ink is very forgiving and even if you do get a few nozzles plugged after sitting a while, it is usually an easy remedy if the rest of your machine is in good working order.