• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how long does white vinyl last outdoors vs. paint?

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
i know, you would think the answer is obvious. it really isn't. i have a customer who wants to recover old framed aluminum panels. in white.
should i...
1. order premium white and use that?
2. go with a regular white and UV laminate it?
3. get premium white and laminate that with U.V. lam?

or, should i blob a coat of paint all over it? they were painted at one time, like 30 years ago. and are quite faded. i though of flipping the panels over and seeing if that works.
-mosher

Pro Image

I would just buy some new panels.....

by the time you finish the Old ones you will be more money in than buying new......

Work smarter.....not harder.......:thumb:

CanuckSigns

i know, you would think the answer is obvious. it really isn't. i have a customer who wants to recover old framed aluminum panels. in white.
should i...
1. order premium white and use that?
2. go with a regular white and UV laminate it?
3. get premium white and laminate that with U.V. lam?

or, should i blob a coat of paint all over it? they were painted at one time, like 30 years ago. and are quite faded. i though of flipping the panels over and seeing if that works.
-mosher

Hard to say, I would say a top of the line 3M 220 white vinyl would realistically last 10-15 years before it starts to show signs of failure, a good paint should outlive that by 10-20 years I would think. Plus paint has the added benefit of generally looking better as it ages

Mosh

+new panels will be WAY cheaper than messing around, and look much better.
A 4x8 of .040 is under $50 and .08 is under $100, per-finished in white.....

OldPaint

MOSH.......dont try to deter him........let him paint it))))) put vinyl on it))))) and when hes done he will figure it out...............
ITS CHEAPER AND EASIER TO START WITH NEW PANELS with powder coated paint on it already))))))