• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long is a quote/estimate good for at your shop?

Trip59

Not that we're constantly jacking up prices, but costs do change over time. Do your estimates have a note included with a 'quoted price is valid through' or other indication of a timeframe and if so, what timeframe do you use?

I have one looming that was quoted out early last fall, I did not include a timeframe on it, and costs have changed on some of the materials. I'll honor it and eat the cut in profit, but would like to reduce this in the future and figured I'd see what the norm was rather than arbitrarily picking a number.

Thanks!

Baz

If my price on materials, fixed expenses have not changed. Then my quote can be good for a year or two.

Trip59

It's not the fixed expenses, we're fairly under control with that, hourly rate is where I'm comfortable and I don't see a need to alter that like some others in the area like to do at random. The materials is mostly where it comes in, lots of prices are set to change in the near future according to some discussions I've had with distributors and articles I've read lately and it really got me thinking.

The one I mentioned in the original post is only going to lose me about $25 on a $500 or so job, not a big deal, but there have been some others that had they waited, might have ate into profits a bit more, uncomfortably so.

Sounds like 30 days is probably fair, and it would allow me the option to honor it if I chose, outside of that timeframe if costs remained the same.

I do have one guy that I'd like to send a self-destructing quote though, any tips on that Pat?

Malkin

30 or 60 is standard here.

The reality is that either they go ahead within 1 or 2 weeks, or if it's later, it MUCH MUCH later, as in a year or more. Then we just requote if needed.

Trip59

30 or 60 is standard here.

The reality is that either they go ahead within 1 or 2 weeks, or if it's later, it MUCH MUCH later, as in a year or more. Then we just requote if needed.

It's the months later "why did you give me a new quote, you already gave me a quote" that I am trying to cover, just a little CYA bit telling them a time limit so I have paperwork to back up a new quote.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ours is written at the top..... Quote is valid for 30 Days

We then have the choice of either honoring it or telling them we have to re-quote it if it goes much beyond.

Pat Whatley

"ALL QUOTES GOOD FOR 30 DAYS" is at the bottom of our quote forms. I can't remember the last time someone brought an older quote back that had to be adjusted though, it's really just on there as a cover your butt kind of thing.

Nothing in writing, just common sense here. Sheet metal and steel and aluminum tubing prices are so volatile I can't guarantee they won't change week-to-week or maybe even day-to-day. But that's usually the only thing. If I quote a job involving those I tell them prices could change slightly at any time.

I won't change a quote because vinyl goes up $10 a roll (which happened multiple times in the last year).

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Any interval between then and there to whenever. It depends on exactly what it is and what the price of materials has done since it was quoted. Usually my margins are sufficient to accommodate any trivial movement of material costs.

It just depends.

Marlene

30 days. there also is the feel good factor when you tell them you will honor that price for them when they call 6 months later.

2B

15 days valid goes on majority of the quotes.

we also use 30, 45 and 90 days if needed