• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long of a cut can you expect to make on an XR?

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Hey Guys, I was wondering how long of a contour cut you could make with your XR640s without it being too far off? (No cut registration marks, just print and cut in the same job) I don't feel I'm asking too much of my (brand new) machine, but it is definitely not as accurate as my well used SP-300V. It's pretty accurate on the cut calibration test, but its runs off quick in distance.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Seems the limit on all the Rolands is 120" or so....been a while since I ran one though so that may not be right.

I try, on any print and cut setup, to limit my lengths to 4-5', unless it just has to be longer (like a large 1 - piece cut logo). But when running multiple cut logos/decals/etc., I group them into groups that don't exceed that 4 or 5' length.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
My printer seems to be pretty accurate to about 6', after that it goes downhill pretty rapidly, and it doesn't matter if its 30" or 60" media. Just seems a little lackluster when I once ran a 17' decal off on my old SP-300V and it didn't get off any. I figure cut registration marks will help, but that seems like an added step when laminating is not required.

reQ

If u print lots of small decals - i limit it to 4 ft long pieces, other way yeah, it goes nuts.

oksigns

Hey Guys, I was wondering how long of a contour cut you could make with your XR640s without it being too far off? (No cut registration marks, just print and cut in the same job) I don't feel I'm asking too much of my (brand new) machine, but it is definitely not as accurate as my well used SP-300V. It's pretty accurate on the cut calibration test, but its runs off quick in distance.

I can reliably cut 96" with minimal deviation with a 1/8th bleed to compensate consistently. It all comes down to recreating the conditions the media was originally loaded in the first place.

RJPW is right about the CustomCUT dimensions for the media settings in VW.. saves you headache

grafixemporium

We have two XR640s. One pretty much only runs wraps. I keep the heater on that one at default 104/108/130. I keep the heater settings a little lower on one that we use more for often for print/lam/cut stuff. Somewhere around 96/98/118. If we need it for wraps, I'll bump it back up to help the dry time. Believe it or not, it will make all the difference in the world on cut registration even over a couple feet. There's no science to any of my advice or printer heater settings. It's just what has worked for us.

Other tips... let your prints cool and cure. Don't lam a fresh run of warm vinyl. Also don't run your laminator with too much pressure. Not even a hair more than necessary. All those things will stretch your material - even slightly - and throw off your cuts. It doesn't take much.

Just last week, as a test for my crew, we ran 36" of decals on both printers at the same time. Pulled them both off and lammed pretty much right away and cut. The printer with the higher default settings was off registration from top to bottom on the print. The other printer with cooler settings was dead on perfect.

By the way, if you adjust your heater settings, be sure Versaworks knows to use the printer's heater settings.

With that said, I still say not to run more than 10 feet of print/lam/cut at a time if you can avoid it. On small decals with a precise cut, I would say keep it under 5 feet.