• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long should paint cure on drywall?

GoodPeopleFlags

A christian daycare (great customer) wants some big wall words put up in their new building. The letters will be black vinyl and about 20" tall, 3 lines of text, about 14' long. The customer just said that "they will be putting on the last coat of paint soon". How long do you think the paint should cure before we put the lettering on?

Another twist: they have a scissors lift there now for the painters that we'll need to use to install the letters but the lift will only be there through next week. (The bottom of the bottom line lettering is about 10' from the floor.)

J Hill Designs

I would say two weeks - and get the paint type from them so you can make sure it doesnt have any silicone additives - just quote with needing to rent a scissor for the install

CanuckSigns

Silicone additives, A lot of paints have these mixed in them now, they are marketed as "easy clean" or similar, they are put in the paint so if your kid takes a crayon to the wall, it comes off pretty easily. the problem is, it is made for the specific purpose of not allowing things to bond to the paint, vinyl included (ask me how I know)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If the paint is flat or matte, you might have a problem of the vinyl sticking anytime.... even after curing. Hopefully they are using a somewhat glossy surface, so you'll have a better chance.

You have to be careful when using someone else's equipment... rental or owned, unless you took out the rental unit. You aren't on the list of authorized people to use it and if you have an accident or it goes down while you're using it, there could be some hefty problems ahead of you.

Also, if you rent a scissors lift, most of them are 19'... make sure you specify this unit will be inside and you need wheel covers or non-marking tires. Otherwise, you'll have a mess to clean up afterward.

Why not just use two 12' step ladders and use a 17' aluminum walk plank ?? That'll get you about 16' or 17' in the air easily.