Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Suggestions Question New Guy How long should painted walls off gas before applying vinyl?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by RISEgraphics, May 24, 2019.

1. RISEgraphics

RISEgraphics Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Salt Lake City, UT
    As the title suggests.. we are repainting offices and looking to apply vinyl. I've seen various recommendations that range anywhere from a couple of days to a several weeks and wanted to ask the pros.. So, how long after painting some walls would you wait to wrap them?

Thank you all!

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Are these for your personal dwellings/workplace or a customer's place ??

Typically, it depends on the paint you use. On the can, it should tell you how long for drying and then best cure times. A fan consistently blowing around will help speed things up, too.

3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Like Gino said, the manufacturers cure time is a good indicator.

4. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Premium Subscriber

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    my rule of thumb is 30 days, but as bill and gino say, manufacturer times may vary depending on the type of paint. ALWAYS TEST IN AN INCONSPICUOUS SPOT FIRST!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

4 days works for me

6. RISEgraphics

RISEgraphics Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Yes, in our personal offices.

Are there any paint products that are recommended above others? I will definitely be more aware of the manufacturers curing time now that I know that information is even available on the can/bucket!

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Use whatever prime you want, then paint with a decent sheen paint, like a satin in oil base if you can get it. Let it dry and cure for 30 days..... if you can hold out that long.

• I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  8. RISEgraphics

RISEgraphics Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions! I knew I could count on you. :) Have a great weekend!

9. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Avoid LOW and NO VOC paints, also avoid Stain blockers/resist paints.

We Tell people 30 days, but will do walls with at least 7 days. We warn the clients that the paint may bond to the vinyl if not fully cured and will come off if removed.

• Agree Agree x 3