• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long should painted walls off gas before applying vinyl?

RISEgraphics

As the title suggests.. we are repainting offices and looking to apply vinyl. I've seen various recommendations that range anywhere from a couple of days to a several weeks and wanted to ask the pros.. So, how long after painting some walls would you wait to wrap them?

Thank you all!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are these for your personal dwellings/workplace or a customer's place ??

Typically, it depends on the paint you use. On the can, it should tell you how long for drying and then best cure times. A fan consistently blowing around will help speed things up, too.

flyplainsdrifta

my rule of thumb is 30 days, but as bill and gino say, manufacturer times may vary depending on the type of paint. ALWAYS TEST IN AN INCONSPICUOUS SPOT FIRST!

RISEgraphics

Are these for your personal dwellings/workplace or a customer's place ??

Typically, it depends on the paint you use. On the can, it should tell you how long for drying and then best cure times. A fan consistently blowing around will help speed things up, too.

Yes, in our personal offices.

Are there any paint products that are recommended above others? I will definitely be more aware of the manufacturers curing time now that I know that information is even available on the can/bucket!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Use whatever prime you want, then paint with a decent sheen paint, like a satin in oil base if you can get it. Let it dry and cure for 30 days..... if you can hold out that long.

RISEgraphics

Use whatever prime you want, then paint with a decent sheen paint, like a satin in oil base if you can get it. Let it dry and cure for 30 days..... if you can hold out that long.

Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions! I knew I could count on you. :) Have a great weekend!

Christian @ 2CT Media

Avoid LOW and NO VOC paints, also avoid Stain blockers/resist paints.

We Tell people 30 days, but will do walls with at least 7 days. We warn the clients that the paint may bond to the vinyl if not fully cured and will come off if removed.

VonsGraphix1969

We were doing a gym wall lettering job and the vinyl company tech rep. & the paint manufacturer both in agreement with recommending a 3 week wait before applying any vinyl graphics either printed/contour cut and/or wrapped...

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I think the general rule of thumb for manufacturers is 30 days, they’re likely playing it safe though. You can go earlier but we like to wait the 30 days if we can. Usually throw up an inconspicuous test piece around day 25 to see how that goes.

Andy D

Many shops won't install to painted drywall anymore, the paint in the last 10-15 years has gotten to be way too unpredictable.
I will put it on a substrate and mount that to the wall or offer printed wall paper, that uses professional wall paper glue (not self adhesive).

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Thats interesting. We do it all the time - if it's permanent, then we'll use IJ35c, if it's not permanent then we'll use the IJ40 - its much kinder to the paint on the wall. We do wall murals and backlits for the Airport. Me boss got tired of having to re-prepare the walls each time the wall graphics would change, we switched to the removable stuff and it works much better.