• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long to remove full wrap?

Signed Out

Have never removed a wrap before. Have removed plenty of decals, but never a full wrap. I'm pricing out a wrap job for 5 2011 dodge caravans. full wraps, hood, bumpers, roof, windows perfed, full coverage. These wraps will be on for about a year and then will be removed and the vehicles re wrapped. I need to include the removal in my price but I don't really know how long it will take to remove the wraps. They will be oracal 3751/290, and we have a steamer for removal. Normally we charge hourly for removal becasue there are so many variables. But with this job, since we are installing the wrap knowing that we will be removing it in about a year, and since there are 5 vehicles, I feel that I need to give a firm price, not hourly estimate. So does anybody have any idea how long it should take to do the removal? And what kind of discount would you give being that there are 5 vans.
Thanks,

wildside

i don't think a steamer is necessary....

park the van in the sun for a few hours, rip a side off, turn it around and repeat

with good wrap materials we can remove most wraps in an hour or less, if someone cheaped it on the wrap, it starts adding time and effort, since you know what you are putting on, then it would be easy to know how long to remove.

i have never used oracal 3751 so do not know its removeable properties, i know with 180c, there is no issue

Border

i don't think a steamer is necessary....

park the van in the sun for a few hours, rip a side off, turn it around and repeat

with good wrap materials we can remove most wraps in an hour or less, if someone cheaped it on the wrap, it starts adding time and effort, since you know what you are putting on, then it would be easy to know how long to remove.

i have never used oracal 3751 so do not know its removeable properties, i know with 180c, there is no issue

Ditto on everything said.

Jim Doggett

Have never removed a wrap before. Have removed plenty of decals, but never a full wrap. I'm pricing out a wrap job for 5 2011 dodge caravans. full wraps, hood, bumpers, roof, windows perfed, full coverage. These wraps will be on for about a year and then will be removed and the vehicles re wrapped. I need to include the removal in my price but I don't really know how long it will take to remove the wraps. They will be oracal 3751/290, and we have a steamer for removal. Normally we charge hourly for removal becasue there are so many variables. But with this job, since we are installing the wrap knowing that we will be removing it in about a year, and since there are 5 vehicles, I feel that I need to give a firm price, not hourly estimate. So does anybody have any idea how long it should take to do the removal? And what kind of discount would you give being that there are 5 vans.
Thanks,

It depends on how quickly the adhesive cures, but one year is still pretty easy, generally speaking. So I agree with all here: no heat, which might leave more adhesive residue behind that'll have to be cleaned off. Just a slow, smooth pull, so hopefully the adhesive lifts off with the vinyl.

IMO

SignProPlus-Chip

The age of the wrap can mean everything. We just did one that took 16 hours to strip because it was baked onto the horizontal surfaces...had to pull it off a square inch at a time.

acothran

I would quote a price for removal in 12 months, 18 months, 24 months, etc... and increase the amount for removal for additional time the wrap is on van. I had customers tell me they were only going to change a wrap in 12 months and 3 years later, it's still on there. If that happens, you probably won't want to remove the wrap for the 12 month price.

Allen

TheSnowman

That's a good idea. We've all had the jobs where they said they'd do something by a particular date and they never showed up, so it made life way more miserable.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
After removing tons of die cut and some of our own wraps, I'd say there's only one safe way to quote it out.

Time and materials. Give them your shop rate for vinyl removal and tell them there's very little in the way of materials, it's all basically labor intensive.

When they bring you an unknown from however long ago, whatever grade of vinyl and sitting for however long in sun.... how can you be held to a number ??

Signed Out

Thanks for all of your input. I like the 12 month, 18 month etc. idea. It also gives them an incentive to get the vehicles rewrapped sooner which will translate into more often..

BrianKE

After removing tons of die cut and some of our own wraps, I'd say there's only one safe way to quote it out.

Time and materials. Give them your shop rate for vinyl removal and tell them there's very little in the way of materials, it's all basically labor intensive.

When they bring you an unknown from however long ago, whatever grade of vinyl and sitting for however long in sun.... how can you be held to a number ??

Totally agree!! You can never tell how the vehicle was parked (in a garage, in the sun all day/every day, etc.). I did a wrap removal and luckily quoted time and material as it took 13 hours to completely remove the wrap from a full vehicle and it was only on for two years but was in the sun every day all day.

Mosh

My wrap has been on our shop truck for 6 years (still looks good BTW), I am thinking about re-doing it, I dread how that is going to come off. Orajet RA with 290 Lam.