• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Long to Wait

Rookie

How long do you let paint (latex semigloss) on a sign (MDO or marine grade plywood) dry before you're comfortable applying vinyl lettering over it. Two days? Four? A week?

Biker Scout

Seems to me that if you are using marine grade ply already, one would prefer to choose to paint with a good oil based paint. I know there are pre-painted sign blanks, but sounds as if someone went on the cheap and got the unprimed ones. The real ones are coated with a paint similar to OneShot.

I know it's probably too late and not really relavant to the OP at this point. But I've not offered a "Wood Based Sign" in over 10 years. When there are products out there like DiBond, Alumalite etc... No priming the edges, no warpage, products carry a warranty, unlike wood. Perfectly smooth surfaces, signs, vinyl, prints etc. always look their best. Throw on some fancy edge cap, and call it a day.

signmeup

Allow the recommended drying time printed on the can of paint. Take into account the temperature and humidity. This will probably be mentioned on the can as well.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I know it's probably too late and not really relavant to the OP at this point. But I've not offered a "Wood Based Sign" in over 10 years. When there are products out there like DiBond, Alumalite etc... No priming the edges, no warpage, products carry a warranty, unlike wood. Perfectly smooth surfaces, signs, vinyl, prints etc. always look their best. Throw on some fancy edge cap, and call it a day.

Nothing wrong with MDO, If you have a hanging sign that swings in the wind 3/4 in. has the nice needed weight. Many shop still sell jig saw or router shaped signs not just the generic squares and rectangles with edge cap you see more and more of.

Jillbeans

I use oil-based paint as a background.
I usually use Ronan bulletin enamel.
Let it dry at least a day, the vinyl sticks like sh!t to a blanket.
On latex paint, not so much.
Love....Jill

signmeup

Forgot to mention... some latex paints now have something in them so dirt won't stick to it. Paint doesn't stick to it very well either. I assume vinyl would act in a similar fashion.

BobM

I use oil-based paint as a background.
I usually use Ronan bulletin enamel.
Love....Jill

Jill, I love your advice, but I love your real life comparatives more.:software

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i use oil-based paint as a background.
I usually use ronan bulletin enamel.
Love....jill

+1,000,000

OldPaint

on MDO/MARiNE GRADE PLYWOOD..........prime with KILZ. let it dry 3-5 hours, and coat with an OIL BASED paint. follow directions on can as to drying time. LATEX paints are so additive heavy, you never know if VINYL will stick. i can say this for sure, FLAT LATEX, vinyl will not adhere!!!!! SEMI-GLOSS might stick to some paint brands. GLOSS LATEX, is you best shot, but then again.........its still a crap shoot. i always painted any wood signs with KILZ, then AUTOMOTIVE ACRYLIC ENAMEL!!!! iam set up with paint spray equipment, and i never have a problem with background paint giving me problems with the paint/vinyl i apply.

Jillbeans

:)
Thank my long-dead father-in-law, who had the absolute best phrases ever.
I wish I would have written them all down, you never know when he'd spout off a new one.
My fave was "hornier than a double-peckered billy goat".
And to re-iterate, latex background paint is not your best bet for a sign which will have vinyl applied. Like OP, I use KILZ as a primer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oil-based paint here, too.

I would highly avoid the marine grade plywood. You'll have a hard time getting the grain to lay flat enough to apply vinyl. Any wetness..... water, latex, oil paint, rain, sweat will raise the grain. That stuff is good for what the name implies.... marine usage...... boats.