• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long will my banner last outside?

Tharnpheffa

Hi guys, I'm so glad I found this website!!

I have a 540 with eco-solvent inks. I just printed a large outdoor banner
and am concerned as to how long before my colors start to fade.

(Previous to this I've laminated all digitally printed yard signs and the banners have been indoor)

Thanks!

:smile:

GregT

Lots depends on use. Is it up against a wall?strung across road? what type of banner material?how is it finished?

I would guess you could be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years with the variables.

signage

Another welcome to the forums from PA

Is this a trick question? It all depends on how it's display along with the direction of surface!

jiarby

How it is made and how it is hung make a bigger impact on the life than the ink.

Plus, if you hang it in the city you lose it in 2 weeks from the sign nazi's tearing it down.

you laminate yard signs?? why?

Sign_Boy

Welcome fron NJ.

I wouldn't worry all that much about it, it's a temp sign. 6 months - 2 years depending on the conditions like GregT said.

Tharnpheffa

Oh- I'm such a dope! It's going to be traveling to baseball games so I guess the exposure to sun will vary. It's hemmed/grom/ropes. I thought about Frog Juice but have never tried it, have you?
Thanks for the welcome, BTW.

jiarby

Maybe some spray Clear Shield (I only use for perf...but prob Ok on a banner)

I print them on JetFlex 13oz and ecosol Mutoh ink... send `em out naked!

RebeckaR

If there's alot of putting up and taking down, the life of the banner will depend more on what kind of care they give it rolling, unrolling, transporting and storing.

Makes me cringe when a customer brings their banner in to have a date changed and they have FOLDED it very neatly. Or it's been rolled, but smashed flat while in storage. ARGH!!!

mystysue

we do alot of these kinds of banners.. that are used then rolled to use again
I have one here at the shop that has been in use for 2 years still looks like new..

We coat all of our banners with clear shield that we roll on..
The banners look better.. because the shine makes the colors pop..
It protects them from alot of the uv , they are scratch proof and you can wipe them down if they get dirty with no worries..

hoe this helps sume
sue

Baz

For banners that will be used at different locations on and off i coat them with Clearshield with a roller (Like Sue does). Really toughens up the banner.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I don't but offer it for an additional charge.
Make sure you use a waterbase clear like Clear Shield if you do. Solvent base Frog Juice is a no no on banners.