• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Long?

Bigdawg

Just Me
How long does it generally take your shop to generate an initial proof for a job? We proof everything out, but sometimes I feel like we take too long. How about once you've received approval.. how long before you actually install a wall sign or window lettering (or similar signs that don't require outside vendors or permits)? We are a fairly busy shop that is on the edge of needing more employees.

Just curious to see where others stand...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's an open ended question. Generating a proof for a job, generally comes long after the job has been accepted.Depending on the size, location, electric and all kinds of other things, it can take a few days to a month or two. Many jobs are going on... all at the same time, so it's hard to say, but we have some taking a few days to some taking a few weeks and some a few months. Much depends on the customer and their needs or expectations.

On smaller jobs like 4x8's or trucks and whatnot, usually a day or so for proofs and once excepted, we'll squeeze it in anywhere we can to accommodate the customer's schedule. If we need help, well call in some part-timers, but we can knock a lot out, if we really try hard.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
That's an open ended question. Generating a proof for a job, generally comes long after the job has been accepted....

Long after? I agree that it all depends on the complexity but generally still should see some sort of rendering within 1-3 business days. And I agree that some jobs can go back and forth several times and over several months but still can be produced within 1-3 business days. Install of vehicle graphics will be scheduled accordingly and not subject to the "1-3 business days" rule.

We have our sales team (2 people)
Designers (1 & 1/2)
Print Tech (1-2)
Finishers/Installers/Surveyors (3)

AKwrapguy

I've seen it go anywhere from 1 few days to several months. A lot depends on the client. I had one job where the artwork approval took about 2 months but it took about a year to get the job approved.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I could rephrase that.

Most jobs that aren't a quick turnaround like a van or a 4x8 will have a certain amount of dialog back & forth as to what they want, what they need and what is allowed in a particular shopping center or section of the city. Colors, elements, what's needed on the sign and many other unknowns also hafta be figured in. Once all of these things have been determined, then a drawing or first proof could go out in a few days or so. No sense in making a proof, if the municipality won't allow a certain kinda sign in an historical section or business section vs. residential. When you're doing an interior mall sign, then it's easy-peasy, cause it all falls together as you already know all of the particulars. As the OP said, window signs... a simple wall sign, might take a day or two.

Generally speaking, we can't drop everything we're doing, just to put a proof together for someone. I always say, someone has to be first and someone hasta be last and then all the others are in between somewhere.

bannertime

Typical walk in stuff is 1-2 days for proof and few hours to 3 days for production. If it's a small cut vinyl lettering job, I do it on the spot or I tell them it'll be whenever I can fit it on another order.

Installs are typically a week to a month out. I took a van lettering order in yesterday and had to lay it this morning. Had a fleet job last year that literally took over a year to get nailed down.

Bigdawg

Just Me
To clarify, what I was talking about regarding proofs is once you've met with the client and determined what you are doing. My longest job after the initial proof was 5 years and more proofs than I care to think about. Yes, it was a big job and some extenuating circumstance and I hope never to repeat that experience.

We do very little walk-in business. Our business model is a little different in that we actually discourage walk-ins and tire-kickers by being off the beaten path and not advertising to the general public. Our focus is more business specific.

We just had to tell someone we couldn't even look at the sign change-out (make existing sign base into a lighted reader board) they wanted for 3-4 weeks, and that we understood if they needed to contact another company.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
The majority of our work is short runs. No electrical. Special license is required for that.
Magnets, decals, coroplast, pvc, banners, polymetal, .080 & .040 alum, & foamcore. We call em "bread and butter" jobs. Vehicle/boat/trailer "wraps" take longer. As do sandblasted HDU or Redwood. 50% deposit upon approval. We've also done signs that required some welding and/or metal fabrication that take some time

Johnny Best

Just received approval on a 4x6x6mm ACM construction site sign with architect rendering of finished home with heavy copy this afternoon. Will start Monday and have everything dug in with #2 4x4x8 wood posts by Wednesday or Thursday.
I usually have about 5-15 projects going at the same time. I am the boss, designer, project manager, helper and grunt. Building contractor takes care of all site signs permitting.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a long time.

Heck, even the quote can't hold that long and would hafta be updated, periodically. Our quotes are only good for 30 days. I don't think I ever had a job that took that long to settle on. I believe our longest one was just a little over a year and even that was like pulling teeth. The way our business is set up, getting a deposit one year and getting paid a year or so later can really screw with your taxes.

If that was a once and done deal and basically the customer's fault, Id say not to worry about it. If you're routinely a few weeks and you're set up for that, I don't think it matters if that's your model. If by hiring someone will shorten it, then it might be time to raise some prices or weed out some of your unwanted clients, unless you're all overworked and want some new blood in there.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Man, raise your prices if your that booked up! Make some money and shorten that time frame. Congrats on the business but it seems your willing to just turn it away. Give yourself a raise if your doing well. I've been slammed since January and a few weeks ago I raised my prices about 25%. Still waiting on the slowdown!

ams

If it's something fairly simple like a real estate sign or similar, generally we make the proof same day. Depending on what sign it is and what we have in stock, generally it's 24 - 48 hours for fabrication/installation.