• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How low can i run my ink in HP FB700

Jacob

I have had my 700 a week now and i am running low on ink. I am use to my roland where it makes you change the ink. I am dangerously low (10%) in a couple colors, Will it make me change the box or do i just need to do it at a certain level?

jasonx

We change them at 100-150ml left. You can set your warning to the desired level on the machine. Running out of ink will ruin the board you're printing and cause you to purge and purge and purge that colour if you run it dry.

Loosing 100ml of ink isn't a big deal.

We've had situations where we had yellow reporting 150ml left and the box was empty.

Jacob

Thank you guys for the information. I think i am going to go with the replace at the 100ml mark.

I was reading an old thread and the guy was saying that he shuts his hp fb500 down at night to save ink. Have any of you tried this?

Turnergraphics

Thank you guys for the information. I think i am going to go with the replace at the 100ml mark.

I was reading an old thread and the guy was saying that he shuts his hp fb500 down at night to save ink. Have any of you tried this?

I have not tried shutting down at night but I emailed the guy you're referring to and he said to just make sure the USB backup to the ink system remains powered. Regarding replacing ink, there was about 20% maybe more in the magenta bag. HP told me it's normal. Doesn't make sense.

neil_se

Open up the box and keep an eye on the amount left in the bag. The first time I replaced on at 0% then opened the box before throwing it away I was horrified at the amount if ink remaining. Sometimes I'll forget and it runs out completely, no biggie unless you happen to be printing an expensive substrate, you just do a purge after replacing.

jasonx

Open up the box and keep an eye on the amount left in the bag. The first time I replaced on at 0% then opened the box before throwing it away I was horrified at the amount if ink remaining. Sometimes I'll forget and it runs out completely, no biggie unless you happen to be printing an expensive substrate, you just do a purge after replacing.

How you liking the new firmware neil?

Turnergraphics

Open up the box and keep an eye on the amount left in the bag. The first time I replaced on at 0% then opened the box before throwing it away I was horrified at the amount if ink remaining. Sometimes I'll forget and it runs out completely, no biggie unless you happen to be printing an expensive substrate, you just do a purge after replacing.[/QUOT

Neil...
My operator said the printer would not print until he put in a new box though there was much ink left. Do you know why or how to deal with that? Maybe the ink alert setting is too high? I am confused because some here are saying you can keep running.

Stormyj

Just another guy
I have not tried shutting down at night but I emailed the guy you're referring to and he said to just make sure the USB backup to the ink system remains powered. Regarding replacing ink, there was about 20% maybe more in the magenta bag. HP told me it's normal. Doesn't make sense.

It does if your buying HP ink.

neil_se

How you liking the new firmware neil?
I'm not sure I've got it, I'll have to check today.

Neil...
My operator said the printer would not print until he put in a new box though there was much ink left. Do you know why or how to deal with that? Maybe the ink alert setting is too high? I am confused because some here are saying you can keep running.
If that's the case there's not much you can do except replace the ink, but often it will run until it's completely empty (it'll just stop and eject part way through a print).

jasonx

I'm not sure I've got it, I'll have to check today.

If that's the case there's not much you can do except replace the ink, but often it will run until it's completely empty (it'll just stop and eject part way through a print).

You'll get an error saying the on head ink reservoir is not filling. Always check the ink box first.

neil_se

As an example, cyan, magenta and light magenta were all reading 0mL remaining last week. Since then I have printed 100 8x4' corflute sheets and it's still not asked me to replace any of them. I cut open the boxes and I'd estimate that the Lm had at least 10% of the bag remaining when it was reading 0mL. I'm happy to sacrifice an $8 corflute sheet to use that $60 worth of ink (although I'd be keeping a closer eye on the ink in the bags if I was printing on something more expensive).

I'm liking the new firmware too!