• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How many can relate?

visual800

Been doin this stuff for 28 years and sometimes things just boggle the mind.

Put up a 3'x12' box sign, florescent bulbs, flat face with digital print. 1-2-3-DONE! Done it hundreds of times.

Guy called 1 week later, signs crooked! Went back out (its installed on dryvit) sure enuff it was off. I didnt even notice it was so slight. Straightened, we good to go!

He calls back, signs not lighting up. I go out and find that water has gotten into the photocell. I go buy another one install it.

He calls back, half the sign is not lighting, I go back out and notice the tips of 3 bulbs are dark (prolly a result of the photocell)
I go by 3 new bulbs and install

guy calls back 1/2 the sign is brighter than the other OM&&%%$$##! go to the store buy 3 more freakin bulbs and installl them

Finally the sign is good to go. it lights up and its even lighting. this whole thing drug out for over 1.5 months. IT HAPPENS. Every now and then it just happens, most of it due to my ignorance during the process of being pi$$ed!

BillyBoy86

Had issues like this all the time with the last company i worked for. i understand how frustrating it is. although, with them, most of the issues were due to them not knowing what they were doing.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I can relate, not with that exact scenario, but some jobs just seem to never go right and by the end, its so irritating you just want to throw your hands up and quit. I would say learn from it and move on, but there's not really anything to learn from, sometimes things happen out of your control. In those situations, just be patient with the customer and hope it will pay off.

Jwalk

This sort of relates to my new outlook. I'm trying to be more positive in my general outlook. So thinking things will go well thinking I will get bids.

The reality is usually in the middle, things don't always go well or always work. I kind of always expect something to go wrong. Some minor thing always does, so I'm going to try this new outlook.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
After 44 years of it..... yes, I can believe it and had some similar ones happen.

We should start a thread of................... Can you believe what happened today ??​

2B

knock on wood nothing to that extent.

The one that comes to mind the best was a 1.5 hr away install, get there plant the poles, frame mount and get everything ready for the faces and realize there is no fasteners OF ANY KIND (only thing in the truck was a small spoil of galvanized wire). needless to say the drive back to the shop and then returning and installing the sign faces with flashlights all went without a single word

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Drove over an hour away to letter a boat, and forgot the Port Of portion and had to turn around.

InstantImpression

or how about that customer how has a sign up for almost 90 days... Then Calls and says... This is not the Artwork I approved. That has happened to me with a Car Wrap. The customer had nearly a dozen changed with the artwork. Once He signed off on the Artwork we went to print and install and then about 2 and a half months later the guy calls and says the artwork on his van was not what the final approval was. I will never forget that guy that is for sure lol. UGH!!! Live by the Sign! Die by the Sign! lol

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Many times over. Customer calls asking "where is my sign? Oh, we were waiting on your approval. We sent an email with changes you had requested. "Approved", ok we'll get it right into production and have it for you tomorrow. Customer comes to pick it up and discovers it has the wrong phone number. But you approved it, did you look at the email. Uh...no I didn't.

Andy D

Not really related to OP, but anytime a customer rejects a sign or graphic
and I agree to redo it or fix it, I have learned to ask "Before I redo this, is
there ANYTHING else wrong with it?" because sure as sh*t, they will be looking over the redo
with a magnifying glass and we will end up redoing it 2-3 more times.

Posterboy

​Yep, some jobs just keep going wrong.

I had one for a pull up banner last year.

First print had a head strike in the logo in the last 100mm of a 2 metre print.

Reprint was fine loaded it into the roller unit, pulled it up to make sure it worked, a burr in the roller unit put a scratch down the entire length.

So I filed the burr off the roller unit, reprint, remount, it rolled fine, everything looked good so I delivered to the client.

A few days later the client calls, the end cap of the roller unit has a crack it it. That's never happened before, but ok, I ask him which one, left or right, source a new one, drive out, replace end cap.
Next day client calls, complains about my shoddy work and tells me that the other end cap is cracked. I source a new one, drive out, replace other end cap.​

Anyway, now I use roller units without end caps.