• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How many continuous hours of printing?

Hello All,
At the moment I'm running a mural print 1080" x 12'. It took 5 hours to run 11 panels, and ended up with 2.6' left from a 50 yd roll. Jeez, cutting it close. I'm curious, how many continuous hours have you all ran your printers in one run? BTW I'm using an HP 570 Latex printer.

ikarasu

We had a tight deadline, 30ish rolls of some government must be 18+ to smoke decals for stores.

We ran it on 2x 560 printers - took about 4-4.5 hours a roll. I live 10 mins from work... So I had an alarm for every 5 hours... Went into work, unloaded and loaded a new roll and hit print again ... The printers were running almost 24/7.

What was interesting was one printer used 20ish percent more ink, even though it was the same profile / ink limits.... And one machine was 20ish mins slower to print. My guess is head age! We went through 12 yellow carts (they were almost a 100% print) it ate yellow ink like crazy.

We used so much yellow ink that we bought out all of canadas supply and couldn't get anymore for a week or so... So we had to run a few rolls on our s40... That one took like 8ish hours a roll, but we had no choice.

I wish every job was full roll, not print xx on this roll, xx on that roll. Our typical day is printing on 5-6 different materials everyday... It's annoying. Loading a roll, hitting print and walking away.... If only it were always that easy.

We had a tight deadline, 30ish rolls of some government must be 18+ to smoke decals for stores.

We ran it on 2x 560 printers - took about 4-4.5 hours a roll. I live 10 mins from work... So I had an alarm for every 5 hours... Went into work, unloaded and loaded a new roll and hit print again ... The printers were running almost 24/7.

What was interesting was one printer used 20ish percent more ink, even though it was the same profile / ink limits.... And one machine was 20ish mins slower to print. My guess is head age! We went through 12 yellow carts (they were almost a 100% print) it ate yellow ink like crazy.

We used so much yellow ink that we bought out all of canadas supply and couldn't get anymore for a week or so... So we had to run a few rolls on our s40... That one took like 8ish hours a roll, but we had no choice.

I wish every job was full roll, not print xx on this roll, xx on that roll. Our typical day is printing on 5-6 different materials everyday... It's annoying. Loading a roll, hitting print and walking away.... If only it were always that easy.
Wow, bet you never want to see yellow again. As I type, I am nearly done printing the second half of the first mural. 2 murals completed, 2 murals to go and an elevator shaft, and oh yeah what about our other jobs?? I hear you changing the roll out 5-6x a day gets old, it's not like a vending machine guys.

ikarasu

Have you installed any of the mural yet? Let me know how your alignment goes... Our 560 was great on alignment, We've done 50-60 FT wide murals with no issues - but never one that continues into a second roll. Our 700 Sucks for alignment, no matter what we cant get it to print aligned since day 1 - We can get it to do a "Decent" job if we print it all at once... after its on the takeup real...and we run the 10 minute calibration. Our 560 never had that issue - Now we print any murals / multi panel signs on our S40... sucks because the 700 is great in all other regards!

And yes - for some reason yellow is our biggest use... We do a lot of kiosk prints as well, Seems like we go through 3X yellows per any other color, its crazy.

victor bogdanov

about 10k sqft in a little over 24 hrs, was around 20 rolls. printed on the Colorado 1650 in gloss production mode which was finishing a roll in under an hr.

average day is 5-6 rolls on the colorado of wallpaper/murals.

Christian @ 2CT Media

On our HP 570 when we first got it we Ran 115,000sqft continuous in a little under a month on each machine. Which is roughly 180 rolls per machine running 24hrs a day with breaks only for load and unload.

Last edited:

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
On our two Roland XR-640 printers they run 12 to 16 hours daily.
Major cleaning done weekly, and always have a new scan motor on stand by, because they only have a 1500 hour life, but will run for 3000 hours.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The Espon printers here run full rolls all day every day without issue. We always run a head check at the beginning of every roll and if it's good to go we send it.

Have you installed any of the mural yet? Let me know how your alignment goes... Our 560 was great on alignment, We've done 50-60 FT wide murals with no issues - but never one that continues into a second roll. Our 700 Sucks for alignment, no matter what we cant get it to print aligned since day 1 - We can get it to do a "Decent" job if we print it all at once... after its on the takeup real...and we run the 10 minute calibration. Our 560 never had that issue - Now we print any murals / multi panel signs on our S40... sucks because the 700 is great in all other regards!

And yes - for some reason yellow is our biggest use... We do a lot of kiosk prints as well, Seems like we go through 3X yellows per any other color, its crazy.

We've installed 5 out the 6 murals, the first 3 were a beast take at look at the attached sample. Turning corners and wrapping around recessed walls while trying to match up the lines was a headache for our installers. The next 3 murals were a solid Pantone 422 and white stripe (2" wide thank god) still was a challenge to hit that grey exactly every time, I ended up calibrating after a test run and then again before I ran each new roll. It's 10pm and I just finished the last panel...

Attachments

• sample.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 124

ikarasu

Yikes, definately a pain to install. I imagine stretching it even a hair to align would distort those lines pretty good... So you'd need bang on alignment with no stretching from the beginning. Definately not an easy job!

On our HP 570 when we first got it we Ran 115,000sqft continuous in a little under a month on each machine. Which is roughly 180 rolls per machine running 24hrs a day with breaks only for load and unload.
Wow!!!!! Pedal to the medal, good to know how far it can be pushed. How many years old is the 570? And how often did you have to change the printheads/inks.

about 10k sqft in a little over 24 hrs, was around 20 rolls. printed on the Colorado 1650 in gloss production mode which was finishing a roll in under an hr.

average day is 5-6 rolls on the colorado of wallpaper/murals.
Sounds like the Ferarri of printers, wow! The boss man has been looking at Canons...