• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How many fonts per sign or document?

hapycmpr

While duplicating a decal in AI, I realized that there are three different fonts used on this projects. In doing a search I haven't found out if there is a "Rule of Thumb" on how many fonts are acceptable to use in any one sign, document or decal for aesthetic purposes. What say you?
-James-

GypsyGraphics

LICKS = FONTS

[video=youtube;NnuHGeCMd4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnuHGeCMd4E[/video]

unless it's only 3 lines of copy... then even 3 is too many.
sticking with the same font family helps.

Craig Sjoquist

In school learned 3 fonts is max 4th if necessary same with grouping of copy or graphics, in billboards it is 7 items total be it words or pictures.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
As few typefaces as possible. There are no specific numbers and anyone quoting some arbitrary number merely has yet to experience a situation where more than that number might be appropriate.

Note that I said 'typefaces' and not 'fonts'. A typeface is a family of specific fonts and multiple fonts within a typeface is not necessarily the same thing as multiple typefaces.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I've always gone by the rule of no more than 3, and try to limit to 2. And don't use 2 similar ones, like Palatino and Times....use one serif and one sans serif (like serif for headline, sans for copy) or vice versa.
There was some chart somewhere that showed what goes together well, can't remember where I saw it.

JgS

I would say 3 but it there seems to be a growing trend to make every word a different font and put a mustache in your design. Point is you don't have to play by the rules for it to look good.

Marlene

one for the company name and then a subtext font. you can also use different weights of the same font

d fleming

Too many fonts can religiously crap up a layout. We've all done it, saw and ad or vehicle, whatever out in public and your first response was "Holy crap, look at all those fonts".