• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How many is to many..Layers that is?

steriltech

Hi Guys,,
I want to know more about this? I mean I know you can lay one vinyl over another,but how far can you take it? I mean what if it takes 5 colors? at what point is over lays to much?Is that telling me I need a color cutter? What do you considrer to much when it comes to over lays.:help: I have done some and after I finished it looked like a pancake....but looked good!:rolleyes: Help me out on this matter. Thanks

7oaks

Post a pic. depends on the layout. sometimes a print is the way to go. If you can't get it local then someone here
can do the job.

imaSIGNr

Colors can be cut so that they actually fit around each other and do not layer on top of each other. If I do layer, I never do more than two.

cOrKinSA

How big are you looking at going. I did one on a box truck and it had 7 layers. Because of the size and the fact that the customer didn't want to pay to much for printing it, it was all vinyl. In the end it came out good. We did his doors as a print job because we didn't feel going in there with our finger to press all the overlap spots and it kinda looked murderous to the eyes if we did it in vinyl.

Checkers

Generally speaking, I would go with 2 to 3 layers or colors of vinyl, 4 would be the max.
With the cost of digital printing being what it is now, any more layers would be a waste of time and money. Most of the time, it would be cheaper (and more profitable) to print designs and install them once, versus trying to apply multiple layers.

Checkers