• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How many of you actually use PerfCut?

splizaat

Just curious how many of you actually use Perf cut? Does it really mess the cutting strip up that badly?

If so when is it most beneficial to use perf cut? Give me some ideas....not sure we'll ever use it but it's been in the back of my head for a while now - seems pretty useful but no one ever talks about it.

Matt

phototec

I saw Roland demo the perf cut feature in Vegas a few years ago, but have NOT actually used it myself. I'm interested to see the responses to this thread.

:popcorn:

splizaat

It's extremely easy to setup it, seems...it's definitely a great feature, it seems...but I NEVER hear anyone talk about it. I would think it'd be a highly talked about feature, but for some reason it's not. I've known about it since day one, but never really tried it.

ChicagoGraphics

I use it on my Mimaki cutter for certain jobs but You have to move the blade foward and it cuts on a spongie type cutting strip so there for it doesn't gouge up the main strip.

Tizz

So I started to use the perfcut feature just the other day. I made up some give away stickers that had a square cut then I created the perfcut around 10mm outside of the square. Was very easy to setup. The design was created in illustrator.
The only trouble I had was with Versaworks. 'Cut Paths' tick box needed to be deselected to bring up the perfcut options box.
Perfcut length, pressure cut, downforce I used at first was at the default (I think)! Cut length: 50mm. Uncut length: 0.5mm. Speed: (sorry cant remember). Cut depth: 170gf. I think I used some inexpensive vinyl just to try on maybe a 55micron face film.

Anyway, it cut very well. I was surprised with the outcome.
I stepped the image to print and cut 6 images 3x3 and spaced it out around 10mm.
Adjusted the cut length to 35mm and uncut length to 0.8mm. Outcome was great!

I can bet this will wear out the cutting strip in time but didn't notice wear as yet when I ran my finger along the strip. I'll definitely play around with the cut depths more and use a micrometer to accurately measure the face and backing material thickness.
Guarantee though it will wear out the cutting strip and blades. So I'm thinking of using a dedicated blade holder and blade for these type of cuts.

I found that this feature would be useful for small bumper sticker type decals where you can print and cut then perfcut a whole bunch and save the time in slitting them all after the jobs done. Once printed and cut all I did was tear out the sticker from the waste matrix.
This was my first experience so far so a little more tweaking and I reckon I'll get it down pat. But it was really easy to setup and use. A good feature to have and use with those certain jobs. By the way I didn't have to adjust anything on the blade height or downforce.

Tizz

biggmann

I use the PerfCut quite often, used it today actually. We use it when we are running decals, either cutting shapes or just squares. It saves from having to print them and then have someone cut them into individual decals. It is a time saver for sure.

Wiggum PI

Used it for the first time on a biggish order(600 180mm x 180mm stickers) a couple of weeks ago, worked great, even with an already worn cutting strip, and saved us heaps of time trimming. I think I dialled the cut length back to 20-25mm and just played with the force setting until it was just cutting through.

CP Signs

With the fc8000, there is 2 position for the blade holder. Move it to the back position and the blade is over a groove, makes it easy and no damage to the strip.

CP Signs

Using forum runner on my phone and can't edit . Sorry. Didn't notice it was in a Rolland thread. Just saw the tittle.

phototec

With the fc8000, there is 2 position for the blade holder. Move it to the back position and the blade is over a groove, makes it easy and no damage to the strip.

Using forum runner on my phone and can't edit . Sorry. Didn't notice it was in a Rolland thread. Just saw the tittle.

That's ok, I have a FC7000, and was thinking it would be better to do the perfcuts on it instead of the Roland printer, so I will have to check into this, the cutting strip on the FC7000 has the grove in the front of the cutting strip (for sheet cuts).

:smile:

scuba_steve2699

I use it pretty often. Trick to keep your cutting strip from going out too quick - put a strip of laminate over it and replace when it gets nicked up. Saves you a lot of money on cutting strips :)

splizaat

Good to know...we do a lot of 1000 sticker runs for customers and always wondered if this would save any kind of time. We are pretty quick at cutting them individually (not as quick as a SHEER!!) but not sure if machine time double cutting everything is worth it?

phototec

I use it pretty often. Trick to keep your cutting strip from going out too quick - put a strip of laminate over it and replace when it gets nicked up. Saves you a lot of money on cutting strips :)

Ok, I'll bite.

This sounds like a workable solution, can you give a little more information details.

What printer/cutter are you referring to?

What type - kind - thickness laminate are you using?

What size, how wide and long do you cut the laminate and how are you securing it over the cutting strip?

Thanks
:thankyou:

DIGITAL DESIGNS

We use the Perf Cut on our FC7000 all the time. Just finished a run of 2000 bumper stickers & it saves quite a bit of time. In my opinion it is just much more presentable & neater to give to a customer rather than them being hand cut. Play with it & find what setting works best for you. We acutally set these up to where one good pluck & you could knock them out the sheet.

splizaat

I just so happen to have an order tonight where the customer wants a black sticker sheet where a couple of die-cut stickers peel off the one sheet. Going to use the perf cut for the outer shape tonight and Thinking it'll definitely save me some time instead of having to hand cut up to the edge of the black on every single sticker. :) I don't know why I never used this before...took about 210g to get it to punch through the liner, but I didn't really want to mess with blade depth at all.

Dragos_RO

In my opinion perf cut should be used when you make a sticker sample, not for production.
Before cutting a material, especially when you use perf cut, make a test cut.
The perf cut should cut 90% of the suport paper, not 100% :thumb:
It's advice to have a cutting strip neer by. :rolleyes:
Have a nice day!

splizaat

Hahaha our first attempt -- FAILLLLEEDDDDD. The paper was cutting, samples looked great, BUT maybe someone here can offer some guidance.

We printed a sheet of 6"x2.5" Stickers
We used the roland recommended settings 1" with .020" perf

It got about three of them done cutting perfectly, and then the liner lost all rigidity and off the rollers it went...ended up tossing the whole sheet. What distances are you using to retain enough rigidity in the paper to cut a whole sheet of stickers out using perf cut?

cncARToz

ThroughCut

We use PerfCut / CutContourThrough. If you set it up very accurate it should not use up the strip to quickly. For that I have to knife holder (1for CutContourThrough and 1for CutContourKiss).
Plus the time (money) you save, cutting the Stickers with the cutter is greater than to buy now and than a new strip. A cnc cut is way more accurate/even and looks more professional
when handing over 10 pack of 100 single Stickers to your Customer. Also don't overpay for accesorries in general that is e.g a simple pvc strip that can be cut to size and applied with clue.
Or a knife holder for rediculously hundreds of $!!!??? E.g I brought my old knife holder to a Engineers Shop and routed it down to the size I needed for the new cutter ;) I was lucky as he did it for free! rara

splizaat

Ok I'll bite again, revisiting this thread.

When we did the 6"x2.5" stickers before they were a simple rectangle (2.5" across the printer, 6" front to back) and after about three of them cut, the sheet lost all rigidity and got twisted in the printer....

Blade depth aside, what settings in versaworks are you using? Do you think it only didn't work because they were straight rectangles and no contour cut shape? I REALLY want to get this to work. It was definitely cutting throught the liner and the sticker just as advertised, but I'm thinking the lengths of the perf to cut through wasn't correct.

We're working with a lot more grafiti artists lately who prefer their "slaps" to have the backings contour cut since that's what they're used to getting. I want to get this working if anyone has ideas?

splizaat

Most of the stickers they do are digitally printed...and the backing is die-cut using some sort of perf cut on a plotter. The question is what settings are you all using for perfcut in versaworks, not what process one website uses.