• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How many passes for solid color?

Brands Imaging

HP 330 - I'm just curious how many passes you guys are printing for solid colors. I know that the darker, richer colors are hardest like reds and blues.
I just feel like 8 pass was plenty good when we purchased the printer and as time went on we've needed to keep upping the passes. Yes we perform normal maintenance tasks, yes we have changed print heads in a timely fashion and yes Advantage Sign Supply has no clue what they are doing with this printer and they refer us to HP every time. Its the best when they send a tech out that normally works on a desktop printer for 199.99.

ProColorGraphics

I have only used the techs for part replacement. The techs in my area are very good. I have always used 12 pass for everything. Being a 1 man shop, I have a little more time between print jobs and I am running around doing everything else while it is printing.

dypinc

HP 330 - I'm just curious how many passes you guys are printing for solid colors. I know that the darker, richer colors are hardest like reds and blues.
I just feel like 8 pass was plenty good when we purchased the printer and as time went on we've needed to keep upping the passes. Yes we perform normal maintenance tasks, yes we have changed print heads in a timely fashion and yes Advantage Sign Supply has no clue what they are doing with this printer and they refer us to HP every time. Its the best when they send a tech out that normally works on a desktop printer for 199.99.

If you have put the latest firmware on the printer, the best thing to do is make new media settings with a new linearization and profile on your RIP.

The pass count is tied to the specific media family being used, and it's applications. For example, a scrim banner will almost always print at a lower pass count than a photobase paper, and a highly absorptive media like polyester fabric will require a higher pass count to allow more ink on the media.

You can also utilize the Inter-Pass Delay very effectively without raising the pass count for the media if the issue is related to drying the ink.

Paul

HulkSmash

We use 8 pass all day on our 360's.
Sounds like you need to up your ink limit when creating your profile.

HulkSmash

How do I do this in flexi? Or is this done at the control panel on the printer?

Ah, Flexi,

I feel like your problem is with the rip. Soon as we got our latex machines we immediately switched to caldera. I feel like flexi
doesn't handle the inks well - especially with the latex machines.

Can you create profiles in Flexi or are you just using ones the canned ones from the website?

ericm

hey everyone we started using flexi 12 with our latex 370's and haven't had an issue yet as far as solid color we have a customer that has me print large blocks of color like 54" x 50'
sometimes on 3m IJ180 or clear and also on back lit ....knock on wood never an issue flexi12 has work so good for us that we don't even use onyx anymore!

greysquirrel

For starters..your warranty is from HP. You do not need to use your reseller for service or support. You can contact HP directly or another reseller...you have KFI and Diversified Display Products in your area...try them...Advantage has always sucked...

what is the status of your heads? How many ml of ink printed? Print out the head status plot to see if it could be head related...

when was last time you recalibrated color? How old is media? It's cold out now so temps may need to be adjusted...

typically anywhere from 8pass to 12pass for solid fills...I run everything at 10...it's not about speed for me...I only want to print things 1x...