• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How many patches do you scan?

Custom_Grafx

I am using i1 match to profile my roland.

I have a question out of curiosity.

There are 3 options for patch patterns.

Which one do you use?

I use the 1 page one (i1 cmyk 1.1)

The other is one called easy cmyk which only has a couple dozen patches, then there is a crazy 4 page one.

I used to do the 4page one when I first got this, but then tried the 1 pager, and didn't notice any major difference, and obviously it saved me a lot of time.

Just wondering what everyone else uses and their experiences with test patches VS print quality.

Rooster

It usually depends on what media I'm profiling and the client base that uses it most often.

Banner vinyl won't get as many as my fine art canvas setting. I might read 4-5 times the amount of targets for the highest quality settings as the I do for a low quality setting. Likewise, I'll read less targets for a 720x540 six pass setting than I would for a 720x720 32 pass on an adhesive vinyl.

When I was doing mainly fine art reproductions I would not only read the highest number of targets possible. I'd read them 5-10 times and then average the readings to get the most consistent result. Since I didn't have a polarizing filter on my spectro and the medias we're all pretty textured (canvas, textured art papers) this helped eliminate the anomalies you'd get reading patch data from a textured surface.

sfr table hockey

I used the 4 page test print for canvas prints. I did try the easy 1 page but did find that the colors were not quite as good for the art stuff. Banner stuff you could get away with the 1 page test print but it's not a lot of extra time to scan 4 pages and if it gets better colors (might not notice on all things) I find it worth it.

Custom_Grafx

Thanks guys,

Something else I noticed, which I'll start a new thread for, is the rendering intent when sending from i1 match to the printer, and not 100% sure on this one...

jasonx

I've got a PDF from Roland for profile creation for versaworks. Have you got it? I can send it tomorrow from work.

kffernandez

I would not only read the highest number of targets possible. I'd read them 5-10 times and then average the readings to get the most consistent result. Since I didn't have a polarizing filter on my spectro and the medias we're all pretty textured (canvas, textured art papers) this helped eliminate the anomalies you'd get reading patch data from a textured surface.

hi rooster! you've helped me quite a bit during my profiling process before. but you never mentioned "averaging the readings." how the heck do you do that? hehe. i'm having some problems getting good color from my higher resolution profiles.

thanks in advance!

kelly

Last edited:

Custom_Grafx

I've got a PDF from Roland for profile creation for versaworks. Have you got it? I can send it tomorrow from work.

Thanks mate - I have the one from roland - I'm pretty sure it's the same one?

Is it a 14 page pdf titled "creating profiles with versaworks 3"?