• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How many shops have Employees?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
1 fulltime employee, 1 independent contractor salesperson, and me. The boss is the married woman I sleep with. :rolleyes:

mander0104

Funny that this post came about today, my husband and I were just having an argument re: this. He thinks I should hire someone and I don't want to. Well...in order to get him off my back, I gave in...i'll at least post an ad in the paper. If someone applies, i'll give them a chance, if it doesn't work out, out they go, and back to being on my own..my own happy self. Paper doesn't go out until tuesday so wont get any applications until at least then. :help:

Bigdawg

Just Me
We are in the same boat mander. My daughter works for us, but she also goes to school (for business admin degree so she can teach her ma how to really run the business). Thinking about hiring a warm body to answer the phones when she's not here but the thought of someone outside the family (we've tried it before and it didn't work) just doesn't do much for me.

On the other hand, not having to deal with the walk-ins and the phone would be TERRIFIC.

mander0104

Ya, I run my business out of my in-laws landscaping building. I'm normally the only one around, therefore i answer my phone and answer their phone, etc etc. I dont want to hire anyone that I dont know, and I would prefer to hire someone in their 50s or 60s who doesnt really need the full time work. (i'm advertising for casual/p-t), because I dont know that I would have the time to put work together for someone everyday! So...we'll c. I would rather be the secretary and have someone else do the work...hehe! But..until i make more money and get this business rolling I guess i'll have to do the work. I'm only 23, so I suppose I'm too young yet to retire! LOL!

Bigdawg

Just Me
Pro Signs & Graphix said:
Not good for phone work. The voice on the phone needs to be very able.

Understand what you mean - guess I could have been a little clearer. Ideally we would look for what a friend of mine calls a "sponge." Someone that can start out on the phones and straight quotes from the book, but will absorb what's going on around them and grow with the business. Most of the calls we get are pretty straight-forward screenprinting or banner/coro quotes.

MAB SIGNS

Fred Weiss said:
1 fulltime employee, 1 independent contractor salesperson, and me. The boss is the married woman I sleep with. :rolleyes:

Fred, does sleeping with the boss get you longer breaks? :biggrin:

mark in tx

Don't forget about the added costs of an employee besides their wages, social security, medicare, unemployment insurance, etc...
All states are different, so lots of variables. They all cost money.

This recently happened to me, hired a graphic artist, fired a graphic artist after 2 months.
Graphic artist files for unemployment, which, in simplest terms, comes out of my pocket in a higher rate paid to cover the other employees.