Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much a sf to install?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc.' started by K2, Mar 12, 2020.

1. K2

K2 Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Arkansas
    I am doing some trailers for the beer company and I am usually around $3 sf for pricing as the are usually pretty generic and flat sides. Very easy installs. But, I am doing a bay door trailer for them that has a lot of cuts and divider bars this time and was wondering what you guys charge for this. Not a difficult install but it is more time consuming. Thought?

Pic just to show what kind of trailer I am talking about, not actual trailer.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      9.2 KB
      Views:
    Tags:
  2. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Few thoughts for you.....

Add a $200-$300 for the additional time it takes

adjust your per sq pricing

charge install per hour and it is what it is

3. Jayefkay531

Jayefkay531 Member

May 10, 2017
    CT
    I hate the idea of sqft pricing for exactly this. I'm on the 3M website and people always call saying "we have 25sqft of vinyl and are paying $65, when can you do it?" 25sqft on a flat drywall or 25sqft wrapping a fender are two very different animals. We charge based on how long we think something will take us. Knowing a sqft base helps to estimate, but we never give pricing based on that.

If you want to do a few tiers of sqft pricing (flat panel, simple curves, complex curves, never ending cuts, etc), I'd recommend setting a minimum price to go with it.

As for your question of what we would charge...too many factors such as type of vinyl, how many doors/panels, size of truck, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  4. decalman

decalman Active Member

Sep 2, 2012
    phoenix
    People want some kind of price .
    I take at shot how much time it takes.... but the meter stays running .

Everything ALWAYS takes More time than it looks.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    To an inexperienced fool, yes that's true.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Jester1167

Jester1167 Very Active Member

Wow, how do you get 3 a square for flat with rivets and from anyone let alone a liquor distributor? That's vehicle wrap pricing for a trailer, I'm moving to Arkansas. What city are you in? JK

As Modern Ink said I would add $300 for the additional time to clean the cracks in all those slats and to cut and tuck the vinyl.

When I quote jobs I typically double-check myself by pricing per square (market rate) foot and time as well. If both numbers are close, I know I am in the sweet spot. If they are quite a bit different I'll take a more detailed look to cover my butt.

7. decalman

decalman Active Member

Sep 2, 2012
    phoenix
    You sure are a creep.
    Texas_signmaker

8. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    If it “always” takes more time than it looks/you’ve estimated. Don’t you think you should look at how you’re estimating? Clearly there’s something going wrong there.