• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much can I trust a external hard drive?

mladams7259

I have a exernal hdd thats tied in with my wireless network. Just bought a simple adapter off of ebay, and now its got its own IP address. When Im working I save my data to the computer Im working on and then to the network drive. It works great that way no matter which PC im on I have access to all of my files. Once a week, usually fridays, I back up my data to a DVD and put it in my safe. That pretty much covers me I think. BTW, I use a WD 250 gig. Just make sure you have at least 2 copies of your work, preferrably 3. Good Luck Flame!

Replicator

I'd like to suggest 2 great ideas !

1. internal or external drive [FIREWIRE - NOT USB] it's 10 times faster and more reliable.

2. Norton Ghost - most reliable backup software on the market today

I use a ACOM Data Drive 300GB . . . I've dropped it on the floor . . .

It takes a Licking . . . and keeps on ticking ! - - - - - Sorry Timex - for blatant Copyright ripoff !

signage

Marc I disagree with you on Norton Ghost! Look into Acronis it is an imaging software similar to Ghost with more options.

Geary

Hey Justin,

I got a Maxtor 100 gigger last year when my internal got pretty full. It's a USB kind that daisy chains as you describe. It's slower than molasses but all my jobs files, music recordings and pics are as snug as a bug in a rug. The price is nice due to the USB of course. :wink:

~gear

javila

If no one has said it, keep two copies of everything for at least two or three months when switching over to a new hard drive.

I lost 160 gigs of stuff (luckily no work related things) because I backed up a new drive that died in a two months.

animenick65

You should always back up everything you have. You should also have an "off site" backup of all your files and software just in case you had a fire or a break in. Granted you'd be in a big hole of crap...but at least you would have files.

threeputt

We've used tape backups for years, but they're a pain. Now with larger files, etc. we purchased a "mirrored array" dual external hard drive. It's two separate drives of 250 Gig each. If one fails, in theory, you still have the other. It's made by D-link.

signage

ThreePutt you should look into Acronis it is an imaging software that you could burn an image and take it off site. Also this imaging software restores faster than tape drives being they are an actual image of you drive.

ChiknNutz

No discernable difference between int/ext...just the case they're in and neither is inherantly more or less prone to failure than the other. I've had a few HDs fail over the past few years, and have usually been screwed. After the last one went, I then purchased a second int. HD and then an ext. USB HD, and also a DVD burner. What I now do is run a daily automated backup for client project files to the second int. HD, I perform a daily mirror of the entire primary drive onto the ext. USB drive and I've just now started making DVD backups of all the client project files on a weekly basis. Still these are all located in one spot, which does no good if there's a fire, so my next step is to start taking the DVD backups offsite periodically.

mladams7259

Still these are all located in one spot, which does no good if there's a fire, so my next step is to start taking the DVD backups offsite periodically.

I bought a $40.00 sentry safe at walmart that is fire and waterproof. I think the dimensions are 11.5 wide, 9 deep and 10 tall. Cheap solution.