• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much could I make?

WrapperX

I've put this out there before but now its kind of important for me to know.

Where could I go, as in websites or other general public info sites, to find out how much money I should be or could be making as a vinyl sign maker and vehicle wrap installer. I've tried looking on google, but no sites really list or acknowledge the work we do. So alot of the searches come up with "no info found" or "no search results to display"

I need to find out what the market is giving cause it has come to my attention that the company I work for is closing and I need to know what to be asking for when I get back out there. Hoepfully you resourceful geniuses can help me out.

Signs 101 you are my last hope, Help me Signs 101!

Thanks!

wildside

thats a loaded question. Your value is different from company to company, city to city.

Wondering what your worth is not the route to think. What can you do to make yourself un-disposable to an employer? Thats what you should worry about.

Years ago as a operations manager for a large sign company, i made about $20 an hour, i always thought it was not enough, now as an owner for over five years now, i know truly know i was lucky to have that salary. I talked to that owner a few years after i left and he said he paid me that much because he couldn't afford to loose me. I only left because we moved to another state for family reasons......

Pat Whatley

If I can offer an opinion here I would strongly suggest you ignore any figures you find and do a realistic appraisal of your own needs.

Start with the age you want to retire.
Determine how much you'll need to have invested/banked to live after retirement.
Figure out how much you'll have to invest/bank every year to cover that.

Then figure out how much you need to make now to cover the life you're comfortable living. Figure in mortgage, insurance, food, incidental expenses and anything else you spend money on in a year and most importantly play money.

Take that figure, add in 10-15% because "s**t happens"

Add those two together and you'll have the MINIMUM amount you can work for. ALWAYS try to get performance pay worked into the deal. If you're a good, fast installer or a damn good sales person you'll be worth more to the company....you should get a commission/bonus for being "above average".

(That's your Dave Ramsey financial planning moment of the day)

It may turn out that the life you want to live isn't possible with the life you're choosing to live.

Last edited by a moderator:

trimitbyrich

I went through the same questions. I invested in the sign estimating software ESTIMATE. I don't wonder that anymore becasue I now charge what I need to survive. I don't worry so much about whatt everyone else charges, I found most of them are on their way out anyway because they do it too cheap.

WildWestDesigns

I went through the same questions. I invested in the sign estimating software ESTIMATE. I don't wonder that anymore becasue I now charge what I need to survive. I don't worry so much about whatt everyone else charges, I found most of them are on their way out anyway because they do it too cheap.

That is very true. Compared to some, I charge more. However, there are some I am cheaper then due to my individual needs to survive or depending on how much the other company is trying to milk the customer for.

It just is going to really depend on your individual circumstances. I wouldn't even be confident in saying the the numbers you would get from a google search would even be ballpark figures. They might be for you, but they weren't for me.

Craig Sjoquist

I look on Craigslist alot and see what people are willing to pay and willing to work for of course they don't match all to often company"s are not willing to pay for your education or experienced with demands they ask for ...except company's that want true craftspeople and skilled digital artist.

WrapperX

Well the biggest thing i don't want to do is put myself out there and be asking for something that is outragous. It's hard to just put together what it cost to live. Especially since we (my family) will be moving when our Lease is up and hopefully buying a house. So our cost of living is about to jump.

Thanks for all the help though. It has given me somethings to calculate and some more things to think about.