• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much do you pay your shop help?

captainpike

I ask this question because I have had five interviews with various sign shops in the past two weeks. Nobody has offered a job yet even though I feel like I'm well qualified to do the work. This is in the midwest, so maybe it's a price issue.

I'm expecting about 15 dollars per hour for general sign work. I have experience and can do most work unassisted. I don't need supervision. Just give me the jobs and I can do them. Is that too much to expect?

What do you pay your shop help?

SignStudent

Depends what you mean by general sign work. If you're just talking inside stuff like vinyl signs, weeding, etc. that doesn't require much skill so starting ~$9/hr. If you're talking bucket truck operation, installing post/panel, wrapping vehicles, then obviously more.

captainpike

Depends what you mean by general sign work. If you're just talking inside stuff like vinyl signs, weeding, etc. that doesn't require much skill so starting ~$9/hr. If you're talking bucket truck operation, installing post/panel, wrapping vehicles, then obviously more.

That's what I was afraid of. I should have kept building my own business when I had it.

StarSign

We have a set standard of a pay range Low Mid High. We were tired of people coming in saying they were all that, come to find out they couldn't read a tape. So we now start at the low range and then give you a list of skills that need to be proven and checked off to allow you to move up the pay scale. If you come in and rock it, we move you up faster!!

captainpike

Let's say you do hire someone on at 10 dollars per hour and they can actually do the work. After six months, what kind of pay would they have?

I can understand starting someone off with no experience at a low price. But generally starting someone off very low is a tactic to keep them low.

CES020

We pay 16 year kids with no experience $10 per hour. I'd gladly pay someone with experience $15 per hour. We had a guy come in with experience here a while back and he was in the $18-19 per hour range.

Baz

We pay 16 year kids with no experience $10 per hour. I'd gladly pay someone with experience $15 per hour. We had a guy come in with experience here a while back and he was in the $18-19 per hour range.

That's what i was thinking.

10 bucks an hour will get you nothing but pain unless you have allot of wood to cut and paint, floor sweeping and maybe if your lucky someone to change the roll of toilet paper.

ForgeInc

That's what i was thinking.

10 bucks an hour will get you nothing but pain unless you have allot of wood to cut and paint, floor sweeping and maybe if your lucky someone to change the roll of toilet paper.

Yup. We pay experienced folks between 15-18 depending on skill level and what shift they work.

Zx360

I make less than $15 an hour, been doing this for 5 years and basically run all aspects of the sign department of a small print shop. I talk to the customers, do all design work, all production, all installation and manage/ instruct our shop assistant who's twice my age... And have a degree in graphic design.

i know we pay our help starting $10.
I know some people in the area have general labor at $14 per hr.

its all about the shop and what's important to them is what I've found.

phototec

I make less than $15 an hour, been doing this for 5 years and basically run all aspects of the sign department of a small print shop. I talk to the customers, do all design work, all production, all installation and manage/ instruct our shop assistant who's twice my age... And have a degree in graphic design.

i know we pay our help starting $10.
I know some people in the area have general labor at $14 per hr.

its all about the shop and what's important to them is what I've found.

I learned long ago, you get whatever you accept in life, so in your case, if you stay there and accept less than $15 you have no one to blame but yourself.

If you really think you deserve more $, spruce up your resume and go look for a new job that pays more money, then when you get an offer, confront your boss and see if he will beat or match your new pay rate.:thumb:

threeputt

If all is so, then you are underpaid in my view. Quality people won't stick around for low compensation. (given an opportunity to blow, they will)

My right hand man is making a good living (been here for 16 years). Just hired an entry level guy, totally green, but I liked his attitude and his manner and he's started at $13.50 hourly. We are a five person, full time shop. I've hired college kids, know-it alls, totally green people, women, men old and young in my 45 years of hiring. Seen it all.

What works best is obtain good people, pay them well, and treat them with a good deal of respect.

I'd rather "hire the attitude and train the skill". My two cents.

Gene@mpls

Let's say you do hire someone on at 10 dollars per hour and they can actually do the work. After six months, what kind of pay would they have?

I can understand starting someone off with no experience at a low price. But generally starting someone off very low is a tactic to keep them low.

Not sure I agree- work a week at $10-12 and I can tell you how much you will be worth to me. Now days... talk is cheap, working hard is harder- I find. Gene

Craig Sjoquist

I have worked in Wichita Ks Captinpike at Ed Dunn & Sons & $15 per hr was pay for low but good skills in field.

So there should be no reason, not getting a reasonable pay scale & $15 per hour is more then reasonable.

Myself I work for others at scale of $20 - $30 per hour depending on my skills needed.

Zx360

I learned long ago, you get whatever you accept in life, so in your case, if you stay there and accept less than $15 you have no one to blame but yourself.

If you really think you deserve more $, spruce up your resume and go look for a new job that pays more money, then when you get an offer, confront your boss and see if he will beat or match your new pay rate.:thumb:

Everything you said I am fully aware of, my post was not meant as a complaint just statement.
that said, I know a raise will not happen. One of our employees has been around since the beginning and makes less than $15 an hour.
luckily for me right now my wife makes good money and I can do what I love to do for a living. I am gaining education and experience for now knowing one day I will eithe buy a company or start my own. :thumb:

DavidT

That's what I was afraid of. I should have kept building my own business when I had it.

I could possibly get inexperienced help for $20-$25 per hour USD, but to get anyone to turn up here with some experience around $40 per hour.
People who know their stuff and get the job done fast $80 - $100 per hour as contractor, you may have noticed this is not in the USA.

My friend has a restaurant and he pays wait staff about $55 per hour on Sundays, (its against the law to pay less!!! even if the employee agrees so the business can open) not as many Restaurants open on Sunday surprisingly!