• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how much printing after low ink warning?

Contact23

i have a low ink warning on versaworks running vp540 and the last time it happened i replaced the cartridge immeadiatly but there was plenty of ink left rolling about inside , so how much ink is left when the warning sounds, and realistically at what cc level should i change it over?
thanks

Baz

You should always have an extra set of ink on hand. Wait until the printer itself tells you to change the cartridge. How long you can print after the Versaworks warning depends on what you are printing. I had a warning for a color and was able to keep printing allot before the printer itself told me to change it.

kanini

The low ink warning in VW comes on when you have about 20-25% left I think. A more reliable check is to go trough the menu on the printer itself (ink remaining). It's showing more "steps" in the levels than the four VW has. If you haven't discarded the old cart yet you can still pop it back in and print until the machine beeps, stops printing and tells you to change it out. As Baz says.

Conor Knoxx

not sure its the same, but on my Mutoh, I can print until the printer (not my computer) tells me its completely empty, it stops printing - then I can hot-swap a new cartridge in (meaning leave printer on, don't touch the print in progress..) and it will continue printing right where it left off. So there's no worry of ruining an 80% complete print, because you ran out of ink.
I discovered this by accident lol, and was absolutely amazed when it worked that way!

rjssigns

not sure its the same, but on my Mutoh, I can print until the printer (not my computer) tells me its completely empty, it stops printing - then I can hot-swap a new cartridge in (meaning leave printer on, don't touch the print in progress..) and it will continue printing right where it left off. So there's no worry of ruining an 80% complete print, because you ran out of ink.
I discovered this by accident lol, and was absolutely amazed when it worked that way!

THIS^^^^^

Our Roland works the same. You can print a ridiculous amount on an "empty" cartridge. One caveat: We are running OEM inks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like mentioned, you should always have a set of inks on hand, but to get the most out of your cartridge, we can generally print between 32 and 48sq ft. Remember, you are taking a chance of running your lines dry, so make sure it's worth getting a few pennies worth of ink out of them to mess up your printer.