• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions How much should I pay an employee?

ikarasu

Put it this way.

He does everything from quoting / invoicing, to artwork / production, right?

Lets say he knows you make $10,000 per month. And you pay him $2000 per month. He can easily figure out material costs $1000, rent / utilities costs $1000, and thats $6000 profit for you, when you don't even step foot into the shop.

Now he's the one who deals with all the customers. He's done all the artwork, so while you may own the artwork... He can easily reproduce it. All your customers relationships are with this guy, and not you - How long before it clicks in his head, all he needs to do is spend xx amount of money. and seeing as how most, if not all the customers will follow the guy who knows what he is doing, who they've been dealing with since day 1, and who they've come to grow a good business relationship with, He'll realize he can make his money back easily, and that $6000 profit now belongs to him.

I'm not saying give this guy 50% of you're revenue - But you need to either A - Have some part of the company to show the guy you care, an absentee owner is an easily replaceable owner. Or B - Make it worth his while to stay. If you offer him $20 an hour to do the work of 4-5 people, why wouldn't he quit and leave to another company, and get paid the same for doing half the work?

If you don't think you can afford more, giver him profit sharing. The company I work at gives us xx amount at the end of the year, based on profit. Ours is split among 20 some people... So it works out to like $1000 a year, it's not much...But if it's a 1 man show, you can give him 5,10% or whatever. That way you're not taking on more risk of business slowing,and he'll see a fat cheque that shows how much you appreciate his hard work every year. It'll also let him feel like he has a stake in the company, while not actually giving up any control of your company.

Either case... It sounds to me like you're not interested in the business anymore. Thats ok, but you're essentially turning the guy into a Manager / CEO type person. So I would definitely say you should pay him way, way more than an installers rate. How you end up getting to that number is up to you / him.

Sit down with him and have a chat. Tell him you're going to be persuing other ventures, and want him to take on a bigger roll - And with a bigger roll comes bigger pay - Ask him what he think is fair. Not everyone is greedy... He may even ask for a couple dollars more per hour, and then in a year based on how he is doing.. you can throw him even a couple more.

Just remember - He's the one who will be growing your business. Giving him incentive, and showing your appreciation goes a long way.

Sign consultant

you should put him on hire rank and get him an assistance.If he goes you will not have back up as mentioned by others in this thread.
As far as make him partner that is bad idea cause he has not brought a different project to extend your business if he brings than finance him and offer a share 20% with salary.

Tfloraditch

I would say start at about $15/hr

Seriously $15 per hour?! Please, Mr. Scrooge can I have another lump of coal for the fire?:)

I guy that can wrap a vehicle, and nothing else, in New England, can make $2000 a day freelance. Sure that's not a regular paycheck, but we could keep him pretty busy.

Last edited:

AKwrapguy

I think that there are also things aside from just pay that people need to start thinking about now. For example where I'm at they also pay for mine and the wife's medical, dental and vision insurance 100% they also have profit sharing and pension plan. I also get a pretty decent wage as well (much more than $15 an hour). One of the things that I never realized at my other jobs compared to this is that they stress a work/life balance and not bringing some of this shit home with you. Also if you need help they get you help no questions asked.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I think that there are also things aside from just pay that people need to start thinking about now. For example where I'm at they also pay for mine and the wife's medical, dental and vision insurance 100% they also have profit sharing and pension plan. I also get a pretty decent wage as well (much more than $15 an hour). One of the things that I never realized at my other jobs compared to this is that they stress a work/life balance and not bringing some of this **** home with you. Also if you need help they get you help no questions asked.

Dang. Paying 100% of insurance is HUGE. Y'all hiring? Haha!

My wife and I pay about $700 a month for insurance for the family.

TammieH

Sounds like he is your company, what would it cost you, if he left tomorrow, could you replace him with someone as competent at the same rate he is getting now? We lost an employee to a fall 4 years ago, he was a Jack of All Trades...we have gone through 8 people since he left us, and it seems they get progressively less competent.

BTW I am an employee/manager and would be insulted at $15 an hour,

everyone wants experience... so little wish to pay for it and the dedication some of us have to the craft.

mmblarg

Super complicated question cause depends on your area's cost of living and if you provide other benefits. I can say he sounds like our store manager who has been with the company for 16 years and is paid between $50k - $60k per year (I only know the range because we had talked about future plans for the store. He handles everything from price-setting, orders, production, installs, printer maintenance, some of the book keeping, and general operations.) We're also out in South Dakota, which is a pretty low-income area (a good 30% - 40% lower grossing income than comparable positions in California)

Hope this helps!

ams

Super complicated question cause depends on your area's cost of living and if you provide other benefits. I can say he sounds like our store manager who has been with the company for 16 years and is paid between $50k - $60k per year (I only know the range because we had talked about future plans for the store. He handles everything from price-setting, orders, production, installs, printer maintenance, some of the book keeping, and general operations.) We're also out in South Dakota, which is a pretty low-income area (a good 30% - 40% lower grossing income than comparable positions in California)

Hope this helps!

If I had an employee for 16 years, they would be making $50k - $60k too.

equippaint

Its much more than pay. I pay a fair rate but it is probably under what some of my workers could get working somewhere else because I compete with the construction jobs that pay more than I can afford. We have very little turnover and the ones that do often times come back once they see the grass is not always greener.
We offer job security, consistent hours (even if we are dead slow they get their hours), flexibility for personal needs/time, a level headed boss that does not brow beat employees, autonomy in the shop, little to no micro managing and fairly defined expectations generally and also on each job. I think that people lose sight of the fact that the work environment you provide is more important than money will ever be. You can pay top $$ and retain people but in reality all that you are doing is trapping them. The morale will not be there and it will be difficult to ever realize the full potential your employees.
With that being said, your employees will always think that you make more than you do but you cant go around crying broke. They're not stupid. Pay them fairly and give raises or bonuses inline with your gains.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
First of all there is no industry standard for compensation in this business.

If he is running the show, I would want him to make at least a living wage (+/- $45k plus benefits, depending on where you are). It is simple math to calculate whether that is affordable. If not, then I would seriously re-think the business. Most likely he will want to make more, so most of the advice given by others applies. Ask him what he wants to make, and sit down with him and discuss his career path. If he wants more money, he will need to justify that expense.

On the other hand, you could pay him the lowest amount you can get away with, and hope he sticks around. When his life falls apart, you can fire him or let him quit, then go out and hire another one.