• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much to charge for a rush job?

BANNERS2GO

I have a fairly new customer (car dealership) who sent me 4 banners (4'x30', 4'x12', and 2 12'x13') about 3 hours ago and they want them tomorrow morning. We will be welding the edges and putting grommets every foot. How much % more should I charge? I was thinking 50% more for the job.

BANNERS2GO

No. I beat out their other printers price without knowing and they said they were going to use us from now on for their printing. The previous banners were approx. $3.50 sq ft.

Farmboy

If you have quoted them a price I'm sure they believe thats the price they will pay. Calling them up in the morning and telling them that you now need to charge them more prob won't sit to well.

BANNERS2GO

If you have quoted them a price I'm sure they believe thats the price they will pay. Calling them up in the morning and telling them that you now need to charge them more prob won't sit to well.

Never quoted them. I really don't think they care. Maybe 30% will be good.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
we charge double but ONLY if we had other work scheduled or it's due the next day. seems like a fair compromise and our customers seem to think so as well.

Replicator

No. I beat out their other printers price without knowing and they said they were going to use us from now on for their printing. The previous banners were approx. $3.50 sq ft.

Are you selling wholesale banners - - - WOW - - - I wouldn't give a price like that to my mother !

Never mind, I see that you are selling wholesale . . .

I would charge 50% more, but not having quoted them a rush charge how will you justify that ?

jiarby

They sent you something at 4pm and want it in the morning? It takes ALOT of RETAIL money to get me to work between 7pm and 7am. ALOT.

I'd tell them a price. The "whenever I get around to it price".
Then I'd give them the "RUSH" price, but rush means 2-3 days. Business Days. 8-6pm.
THEN the "OMG we need it NOW !!!ELEVENTY!!!" price. 2-3x the rush price.

For a wholesale job?? pfft!

Work overnight for half price?
Better to work 8-5 and charge retail $/ft.
Make the same $$, work less.

cdiesel

Jiarby makes some great points. I also question why a "car dealership" is getting wholesale pricing. Sounds like an end user to me.

We offer wholesale pricing to legitimate wholesale customers, who will markup and resell the products. If an end user comes to us with print ready artwork, they receive a small discount off of retail, which is nowhere near wholesale pricing.

pointjockey

I approach a Rush Job using the following formula:
Job Cost X (Number of Soon To Be Pissed of Customers Ahead of Rush Job) /33 + 6.5 = Rush Fee. The depending on my mood I will also add the cost of a good bottle of Chianti and a jar of Fava beans

Monsterkidz

Damn I get about 15.00 a sq foot for banners. You like working for free?

heyskull

I guess I know why this car dealership came to you!!!
$3.50 sq ft!!!!!
Are you getting the materials and use of a printer and inks for free?
There is no profit in that job.
I guess the other printers are now subbing all their work to you now?
I can work all day and all night for nothing and this looks like you may have been!
I would have added 200% based on your original price.... and that might not be enough.

SC

Circleville Signs

I have a fairly new customer (car dealership) who sent me 4 banners (4'x30', 4'x12', and 2 12'x13') about 3 hours ago and they want them tomorrow morning. We will be welding the edges and putting grommets every foot. How much % more should I charge? I was thinking 50% more for the job.

First, I'm going to say what everyone else is too polite to say. You are a moron. Get out of the sign business before you ruin it for everyone in your area. $3.50/sf for finished banners? Wholesale, sure. But why the f&!k are you selling at wholesale to an end user? If I were one of your local wholesale clients and found that out, I'd never buy from you again, and I would damn sure take the time to find out who your other wholesale clients were and inform them of your unethical behavior.

We do wholesale work too, as well as retail. When you choose to straddle that fence, you have to be very careful not to mix the water in those ponds.

Gary

I do not think $$$ s/f is wholesale pricing....

If he was selling for $$$$ s/f that would be a different story.

As far as taking on a job like that with not having the proper production machines in place is not wise.

Yes at $$$ s/f there is a ton of profit in the job if you are set up to do this kind of work...

520 s/f total

1 hour to print (8 color 1080 dpi) hi res
or
30 minutes to print (4 color 540dpi) production

2 hours to finish.

banner $s/f $$$$ total
ink $ s/f $$$$ total

all other costs are fixed regardless.....

$$$$ total material cost

$$$$ selling price..

Sorry but that is some damn good Profit Margin..

We also would not sell @ $$ s/f to end user. Many however do and If you are set up to do so you make $$$$$.

I would sell these for $$$ s/f and take a $$$ sale for a couple hours of production.....

I would also sell these to a qualified wholesale partner for $$$ s/f and still have a very respectable profit margin... They can sell for what ever they feel the market bares....

Last edited:

BANNERS2GO

First, I'm going to say what everyone else is too polite to say. You are a moron. Get out of the sign business before you ruin it for everyone in your area. $3.50/sf for finished banners? Wholesale, sure. But why the f&!k are you selling at wholesale to an end user? If I were one of your local wholesale clients and found that out, I'd never buy from you again, and I would damn sure take the time to find out who your other wholesale clients were and inform them of your unethical behavior.

We do wholesale work too, as well as retail. When you choose to straddle that fence, you have to be very careful not to mix the water in those ponds.

Gary
:goodpost:

You are a moron - THANKS!

We wholesale to other printers in the area for $1.75-$2.50/sf

This end user has 13 car dealerships and does over $400,000 a year in banners. WE WANT THE BUSINESS!!

"If I were one of your local wholesale clients and found that out, I'd never buy from you again, and I would damn sure take the time to find out who your other wholesale clients were and inform them of your unethical behavior."
IF YOU HAVE THE TIME GO FOR IT. WE NEVER SELL TO OUR CLIENTS CUSTOMERS BUT THANKS FOR BEING CONCERNED. WE ALSO HAVE TO COMPETE WITH OTHER WHOLESALE PRINTERS IN THE AREA. WE DO CHARGE MORE BUT GET THE JOB DONE QUICKER.

BANNERS2GO

i do not think $xxx s/f is wholesale pricing....

If he was selling for $xxx s/f that would be a different story.

As far as taking on a job like that with not having the proper production machines in place is not wise.

Yes at $xxx s/f there is a ton of profit in the job if you are set up to do this kind of work...

520 s/f total

1 hour to print (8 color 1080 dpi) hi res
or
30 minutes to print (4 color 540dpi) production

2 hours to finish.

Banner $xx s/f $xxx total
ink $xx s/f $xxx total

all other costs are fixed regardless.....

$xxxtotal material cost

$xxx selling price..

Sorry but that is some damn good profit margin..

We also would not sell @xxx s/f to end user. Many however do and if you are set up to do so you make $$$$$.

I would sell these for $xxx s/f and take a $xxx sale for a couple hours of production.....

I would also sell these to a qualified wholesale partner for $xxx s/f and still have a very respectable profit margin... They can sell for what ever they feel the market bares....

couldn't of said it better. Finished the job in less than 3 hours

Last edited by a moderator:

ddarlak

Go Bills!
why is this even allowed in open forum?

come on admins, lets move this to the paid section so bob, dick and harry can't see the foolish questions that should be kept behind closed doors....