• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much to charge....

JCGraphix

Got a 3ft by 4ft banner i'm doing for a MMA team. Text includes "Team Hammerfist" and "MMA" in white. With the team logo in middle. All text is 3inches. Can't figure out how much i should charge, being my first banner and all.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
A wise man once told me:

"Know your costs...and you'll make money by default."

So...what are your costs?

Lots of people ask this question ("How much should I charge?"). You'll get a better answer if you first show forth some effort.

You should at least be giving us what you think your starting price will be, and we can let you know if you're within reason...or not.

JB

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
Figure out whatever you think you should charge, like the guys above said, then double it. Seriously. You're highly likely to undervalue your services if you've got no idea what you should charge.

Also, most folks don't like to discuss pricing outside of the premium forums, so you may get better responses there.

If it helps give you an idea of the range, for a 1-off I'd be at $57.44 for a 3x4 grommeted, art not included if it's anything other than just simple "type and click print" text.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Figure out whatever you think you should charge, like the guys above said, then double it. Seriously. You're highly likely to undervalue your services if you've got no idea what you should charge.

Also, most folks don't like to discuss pricing outside of the premium forums, so you may get better responses there.

If it helps give you an idea of the range, for a 1-off I'd be at $57.44 for a 3x4 grommeted, art not included if it's anything other than just simple "type and click print" text.

You might want to heed your own counsel and double your price. In this shop that banner would be $100.00.

Unlike others I have absolutely no reluctance to quote prices. Anywhere, any time, to anyone. I tend to think that someone who displays a reluctance to do so probably has something to hide and/or lacks confidence.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
bob, good to know that you can get that, and I wish I could here, believe me. I'm still making money at that price, and I'm also pretty much in line with the local market. Banners aren't a large part of what I do, more often than not they're an add-on.

On the other hand, just a few days ago, I sold a 3.5'x6' for $240 and all I had to do was send the file to print. ;-)

JCGraphix

Just curious....how'd you take the order if you couldn't figure out what to charge?

Well i have a price in my head, i guess i should have mentioned it. I was thinking 35.00.

Holy, cow. Man, i'm so glad i got on this forum. Only a week on and i've learned SO much. Thanks guys! 100.00 bucks... 54.00. I feel like a chump that i said 35.00! Wow.

Pat Whatley

$35? Go get a job at McDonalds. You'll only be making about $25 over your cost and that's got to cover the time it took to take the order, set up the job, print the job, rent, power, internet, printer payment, insurance, retirement, hemming, listening to the customer ramble about something when they pick it up, accounting....and about 200 other things. You look at the big picture and at $35 you'll actually lose money.

Salmoneye

$84. + tax and art here. There are folks in town that will charge 50% more and they also do nice work, there are people that do them for 1/2 and sometimes it shows. Don't let people tell you that you can't get more than bottom of the barrel prices. Service your customer and the market will bear a fair price, design them product that will pay for itself. You don't do much volume and you don't realize all of the costs that you actually have, that banner might well cost you $3sf to produce; you can sell it for $5 or you can sell it for $7sf the profit margin is 100% higher on the latter and still fair for nice work. So in the end 100 banners @ 7 spending a little time on them or grinding out 200 banners @ 5 for the exact same profit? I for one am not a McDonald's, I make em to order and you get them just the way I like them :)

signage

Get yourself a subscription to Sign Craft they have a pricing guide with it!

Last edited:

sfr table hockey

It's hard to compare the USA and Canada for prices but I think we get a bit more up here for the similar job.

I mainly print (not cut vinyl) all my stuff. As a basic quick estimate I use $7 a Sq/ft for over 10 Sq/ft and if its under, $10 /Sq/ft. That would include the hem and grommets but not including art or setup.

Media and ink are not the cost issue. An average 4' x 8' or 32 Sq/ft depending on full ink print or lettering, may only cost $15 to $20 depending on media, but you have to include a little chunk for that $20,000 printer or that $1000 print head or the $1500 service call (as Pat stated above). I don't mind telling my customers that the media and ink are not a big cost factor. This way when they say print it on the cheapest thing you have, like paper, I tell them " that will only save you $5 to have it on paper compared to banner material. It takes the same time to print on paper, about the same ink etc.

My pricing issues are for cut vinyl as I don't do that much.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

I mainly print (not cut vinyl) all my stuff. As a basic quick estimate I use $7 a Sq/ft for over 10 Sq/ft and if its under, $10 /Sq/ft. That would include the hem and grommets but not including art or setup...

How do keep a straight face when, by your numbers, you'd get $90 for a 9 ft^2 banner but $70 for a 10 ft^2 copy?

A discount for size or quantity should never be equal to or greater than the cost of a single unit. In this case a unit is a square foot. For example, I was once in a donut shop and the price was 12 cents apiece or $1 for a dozen. I asked the clerk if I bought 11 donuts would they really charge me $1.32 but if they tossed in one more they'd only charge me $1? The clerk, obviously with the brains of a gerbil, went off into a confused trance-like state. I bought a dozen just to preserve what there was of her sanity.

sfr table hockey

How do keep a straight face when, by your numbers, you'd get $90 for a 9 ft^2 banner but $70 for a 10 ft^2 copy?

A discount for size or quantity should never be equal to or greater than the cost of a single unit. In this case a unit is a square foot. For example, I was once in a donut shop and the price was 12 cents apiece or $1 for a dozen. I asked the clerk if I bought 11 donuts would they really charge me $1.32 but if they tossed in one more they'd only charge me $1? The clerk, obviously with the brains of a gerbil, went off into a confused trance-like state. I bought a dozen just to preserve what there was of her sanity.

I hear you.... and yes that is one reason not to have that above or under 10 sq/ft rule, but I had said that was for a basic quick estimate. And to keep the straight face thing, I do it by having my hand in my pocket, squeezing my nuts.... mostly the peanuts I make.

I fight with that same price structure from an art printer in the City that has the above and below 10 sf prices for canvas giclees.

It may be better to say $7 sq/ft for over 10 sq ft and up to as much as $10 sq/ft for under. So for the small 24"x24" file you waste material on you can go the high side.

I tried giving the customer a math formula to calculate the price of their banner but after their head popped I no longer had a customer.... it was just easier to say a ball park price for printing is.......

wes70

Get yourself a subscription to Sign Craft they have a princing guide with it!

I would like to be a prince! Where does one find this guide you speak of? (speaking with my best British accent). ;)

Just kidding! Of all people, I shouldn't be critical of others spelling.

JR's

This is a profound statement.
But if I could elaborate a little bit more on this subject.

Don't let people tell you that you can't get more than bottom of the barrel prices. Service your customer and the market will bear a fair price, design them product that will pay for itself. I for one am not a McDonald's, I make em to order and you get them just the way I like them :)

1. Produce a poor quality product and you will receive a equal amount in compensation.

2. Produce a product that will pay for itself and you will receive fair market value.

3. Produce a product that will bring in revenue. And that is when things get interesting.The masses will beat a path to your doorstep.

And in our business you have that other field where perceived value comes into play. For instant custom artwork this is another ballgame altogether.

To the OP do not stop learning. Always try to have fun. And hang onto that Tigers tail because it's going to be a hell of a ride.

Get paid for playing with crayons.
JR