• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much to replace?

Griff

Right now I am a small sign shop that has a cutter and is doing printed material wholesale. I am looking to expand my business to hopefully grow it to be my full time job rather than my side job. I have come across a Roland SC-500 printer/cutter that is for sale. It has been converted to eco solvent inks. The issue is that it has been sitting in a climate controlled storage for 4-5 years so it is probably going to need new print heads and ink lines. What is a rough estimate of what it will cost me to replace these parts, with me replacing them? I am new to the print world, but I am very mechanically inclined so I should be able to do it myself. I have experience working with printed material, but that is only with post print prep and install, I did nothing with the actual printing process. Also it does not come with a rip software or driver, so I will need to pick those up too.

Looking for input from you experienced guys/gals.

Thanks in advance.

jfiscus

Rap Master
keep looking around. call your materials distributors & ask them if they know of anyone selling used equipment or that is going out of business. the new print heads and rip software are going to cost you more than you'll pay for the printer. if the printer is free, however, then it may be worth the cost of all you'll have to buy to get it running.

CS-SignSupply

You will need the following parts more than likely...

2 heads ($400 each)
6 dampers ($270)
1 cap station ($100)
1 pump ($100)

Rough parts estimate - $1300 plus shipping

Budget another $100-$150 in syringes, cleaning fluid, swabs, etc.

New Ink - Roland Eco-Sol 220's x 6 - $400

Ball park for you to do it yourself, $2,000 (plus or minus)

Add another $600-$1200 for a dealer to do this.

Possible Ink lines (depends on ink type installed) - call for price

ChicagoGraphics

Who in there right mind would use OEM ink in a converted printer, use bulk ink at 70 dollars a liter, DX2 heads are 200 each, dampers on ebay are cheap

chorca

Being mechanically/electronically inclined myself and doing the same basic thing with a Falcon Outdoor, it can be very rewarding. If you have the time to spare, you will learn a *lot* about how the printers operate, how everything interacts and where a lot of trouble spots are.. it'll help if you plan on working on it yourself.
Takes time and dedication, and obviously the cash to get it running, but I think it can be worth it.

wedosigns

Buy new and don't mess around.
:ROFLMAO: Grab a ladder!
Not everyone wants to add a payment for 3 years to our overhead!
Plus he is just starting out and needs to keep the printer running. If it is not printing it is not making money and drying up.
Not everyone wants to just give their prints away like some people.