• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How NOT to do finishing cuts on a vehicle wrap

HulkSmash

We're redoing quit a few wraps for a company that wasn't happy with the previous company they were using. We removed the original wrap on the first vehicle which showed some pretty deep cut marks from where they trimmed. It seems to be a rising problem in this area. Every time we remove a wrap another shop does, we run across this. So from 1 professional to the another.. avoid this, and avoid a very angry customer.

Attachments

• 20120618_141108.jpg
    20120618_141108.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 20120618_141034.jpg
    20120618_141034.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20120618_141004.jpg
    20120618_141004.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 20120618_140925.jpg
    20120618_140925.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Holy crap! I though that was the wrap at first, then I realized it's the freaking paint. I love all the noob shops who think they can just buy a printer and start selling wraps.

HulkSmash

Holy crap! I though that was the wrap at first, then I realized it's the freaking paint. I love all the noob shops who think they can just buy a printer and start selling wraps.

Yup the paint.
but hey, someone else bad wrap, is more business for me!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yowsa................

Maybe the cut-guy was a surgeon in a different field and figured they knew how to use a scalpel, why not trim wraps the surgical way..... ?? Ya can make lotsa moolah in this business.

HulkSmash

Yowsa................

Maybe the cut-guy was a surgeon in a different field and figured they knew how to use a scalpel, why not trim wraps the surgical way..... ?? Ya can make lotsa moolah in this business.

no kidding. They're deep.. i mean, one needs to be filled it's so deep.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Maybe they were already there and they had it wrapped to try and hide them.
I get customers all the time with cars that have been keyed wanting me to stripe over and hide the damage.......

wayne k
guam usa

ICeMAnAbk

You figure, if you've gotten to the point where you're doing wraps, you would of figured out by then how to cut a graphic without harming whats underneath, or, if you're that bad, least hold the vinyl off the vehicle when you cut it. Oh well. Guess there will be a 50 something in digital printer for sale soon from another Fly by night.

wedosigns

Becareful when filling it in. You are probably going to come across the tip of the blades!
Must have never started with a fresh blade just kept pushing harder and harder.:ROFLMAO:

Craig Sjoquist

They used the MORE POWER BLADE lol yes for that sure cut look use the more power knife blade holder for that rich deep cut feel you will know you have cut right cut deep with more power behind each drastic slice

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Lots of practice on your own car..... you can get to where you can cut vinyl on a car all day without ever cutting into the paint. Or get a roll of knifeless tape. We do keep that on hand now for certain things and also for my newer installer who only had a couple of years experience. To be honest, even with 10+ years experience you can still get into paint if you are not super careful. I cannot, and I'm confident no one else here either can say they have never cut into paint at all at some point. I can however say I've never flat out butchered the paint all the way to the primer/metal like this thread shows though.

alexmhurst

Knifeless tape looks like a great product. Is it pretty widely used and appreciated, or does it seem more like a flaky gimmick with inconsistent results? If it doesn't work right, I can see getting rips and stretches in the vinyl.

HulkSmash

Knifeless tape looks like a great product. Is it pretty widely used and appreciated, or does it seem more like a flaky gimmick with inconsistent results? If it doesn't work right, I can see getting rips and stretches in the vinyl.

it works great..