Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question How often do you rebuild your color profiles?

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by Charles@TheSignDude, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Charles@TheSignDude

Charles@TheSignDude New Member

Jan 3, 2019
    Oregon
    We have 2 HP latex 370's and we use ONYX for our RIP.
    we have a total of 5 media profiles for them that we monitor the color on.
    We print and measure to GRACoL.

My question is how often do you rebuild your profiles? We rebuilt them all last October and by the first part of November we noticed the colors dropping off. We rebuilt them again and now here we are December and they are falling off again.

Do you see big shifts when you have significant weather shifts?

Thanks for your feedback.

Charles

2. FrankW

FrankW Very Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    Regularly you dont need to do a complete reprofiling, just do the linearization (the second step in the profiler assistant.

And yes, depending on temperature and humidity, specially thermal inkjet printers could show colour deviations.

There are methods to control and monitor color consistency: Colorcheck as a functionality of Onyx Thrive, or DOC integrated in Barbieri Spectrophotometers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    Hey Charles,

When you say rebuild, are you completely starting from scratch or are you just recalibrating the profiles (linearizing them?)

Changes in weather can necessitate recalibration, especially if your print environment is not well controlled - temperature and humidity. Also, latex print heads have a much shorter life expectancy the piezo heads, so as the heads age, you could need to recalibrate as well. I know of some shops that make recalibration a part of their Monday routine. They do it every week, whether the test prints indicate it's necessary or not.

Good Luck,

Joe

4. dypinc

dypinc Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Here
    Not sure what you mean by rebuild profile. You either re-calibrate on the printer or re-linearize in the RIP or after trying both or those and you not getting what you want then create a new profile.

Are you running the calibration on the printer? I rarely ever need create a new profile.

5. KellyP12

KellyP12 Production Artist

Oct 10, 2016
    USA
    We also have a Latex 370 and profile it on the front panel (though it communicates with Onyx), and we've found that for solid colors it's extremely consistent. No reprofiling needed if we just consistently run a color calibration 2-3 times a week.

6. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    You "Should" Linearize/re-calibrate before any large job or at least once a week. If you notice major environmental changes you should re-calibrate then.

7. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    The 5xx series will let you know when a profile needs calibration...I assumed the 3xx series did the same.

8. DrunknMonk

DrunknMonk Member

Aug 23, 2010
    England Uk
    I re calibrate ever morning before any jobs are printed.