• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How old is to old

eccs19

I'm sure some of you will laugh at this. I've got some vinyl that is well over 10 years old. I only use it mostly for messing around / testing.

Now new vinyl is great. Weeds nicely, etc. I do find that over time it just doesn't weed very well anymore. Any real rule of thumb for a "shelf life" for vinyl?

heyskull

Our stock is completley changed every 12months.
10 years old is rubbish.
Some of our suppliers are saying shelf life is only 12months.

SC

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
there are times that i get a color in just for one customer and don't use the whole roll...i'll save it for later use, but pretty much anything over 3years on my shelf and i'm checking it to make sure the tack is still there, it weeds nicely, and even then, i try to only use it on "temp" signage (no more than 3yrs outside)...

TheSnowman

I've had people want a special color that has been left over and I ask how long they need it to last. If it's for something that has to be a while, no way, but if it's short term, or an old truck that they just want bottom dollar on, and they're installing it themselves, I'll sell it, and just tell them I can't warrant it...but like I said, they get a steal on it.

CheapVehicleWrap

I stock tons of vintage stickers. Stuff you couldn't get and that would be very expensive to reproduce.Quality, proper storage and luck have never let me down with those or "cut vinyl", you'd be VERY surprised. But then again, I've seen it last WAY WAY longer than it should installed too. Wrap material doesn't last long enough on my shelf to give any answer for that.

eccs19

Thanks for the info.

When you order your vinyl for a job, do you typically just order a roll of whatever the customer wants, or do you use a multiplier factor based on your measurements? (2x actual, 3x actual, etc)

thesignguy1986

I will say I never really keep vinyl for more then 6 months but I probably do more vinyl then actual printing. I would never suggest using 10 year old vinyl but I recently bought some high performance avery vinyl from a local supplier going out that was about 3 years old (shelf life for him) and it weeded and cut great. Then again I bought 14 rolls or so of 24" x 50yards for only $22 or $23 a roll so how do you not take that kind of risk right lol. Though I can't help but wonder how in the world you have vinyl that is 10 years old lol.

petrosgraphics

in thinking a little more about the original question, old translucent vinyl is pretty bad,
it will tear if you look at it the wrong way...