• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Should I Apply?

Guerilla Grafix

Good afternoon, All
I just got a job to apply graphics to store front windows, but instead of perforated vinyl they want to go with .020" styrene.

I've applied tons of perf vinyl, but never had to apply plastic directly to a window frame, so need y'all's expertise.

I can add grommets to each corner.

Pics for reference
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_9982.jpeg
    IMG_9982.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_9982.jpeg
    IMG_9982.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9985.jpeg
    IMG_9985.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9826.jpeg
    IMG_9826.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 77

Billct2

Depending on size they could just be hung in the window with suction cup hooks.
Or if heavier fron hooks in the frame. You may want something a little thicker though.
If they're not up for a long time some banner tape on the top and in the corners would hold them

Guerilla Grafix

Depending on size they could just be hung in the window with suction cup hooks.
Or if heavier fron hooks in the frame. You may want something a little thicker though.
If they're not up for a long time some banner tape on the top and in the corners would hold them
Thanks! They are 6x4 feet, placed on the exterior, and he's wanting them long term.

The building is off the side of a small highway with moderate wind at times.

BigNate

... I am not sure how Bakersfield likes things mounted on the window frame that block the window itself - I am about an hour north of there, and I have had the FD tell me that most windows are considered part of emergency exits from a building and that putting something on the glass is okay, but blocking the window by mounting a sign to the frame is not allowed. I am not a lawyer, and at the time window graphics worked for me so I did not pursue further.

Guerilla Grafix

Then mounting tape sounds like the best option. Though I'd try to convince them to go with vinyl
Ok I'll try the tape. I kept trying to sell them on the vinyl, but they kept saying they already put tint on the windows, so it wouldn't make sense.

That's the hardest part, is trying to educate the customer

Guerilla Grafix

... I am not sure how Bakersfield likes things mounted on the window frame that block the window itself - I am about an hour north of there, and I have had the FD tell me that most windows are considered part of emergency exits from a building and that putting something on the glass is okay, but blocking the window by mounting a sign to the frame is not allowed. I am not a lawyer, and at the time window graphics worked for me so I did not pursue further.
Yeah I'm an hour north of Bakersfield as well. I kept trying to tell him to do the window perf, but he kept saying he doesn't want it because he already tinted the windows ‍♂️

He would not budge. I guess he'll find out the hard and expensive way.

Guerilla Grafix

I don't think long-term and styrene work well together. If the windows get a lot of sunlight they are going to warp pretty quick. If he wants them to last you need to sell him on decals or window perf.
I agree. That's what l kept telling him, but he kept saying that he already tinted the windows so he doesn't want to put perf on them.

Not sure what his logic is, but we'll see in the long run.

d fleming

I would try to suggest a printed film, not perf on outside. Does not affect tint, and is opaque like styrene. Styrene is not a long term permanent anything. Too bad he already tinted could have done second surface and gotten a real sexy look.

somcalmetim

Perf has problems with short lifespan, doesn't work when backlit at night or slightly dimming image because of the holes...
...but what kind of reason is "I already tinted them"??? Especially when he is prepared to block them entirely?? lol
So weird...if you actually want to totally block vision for security reasons that is one thing but I hate customers with weird reasoning.

If its windy I would screw up aluminum composite panels for long term...seen a lot of ripped up or just bad looking wrinkly banners.
If there is anywhere the wind can get under the sign I would expect a tape mounted sign to get ripped off...we had some get ripped off that were mounted with rivets and aluminum angle iron but had 1" standoffs the wind could get under.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I would not put 6'x4' styrene on the exterior of glass, period. Not if, but when it fails, he will blame you.
Exactly. Regardless of how stubborn/dull the customer is, don't let them dictate what kind of materials you'll use.

Vinyl on the glass or a 3mm ACM panel installed over frames.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
It's a tough call to do it their way & put your name on something that you know will fail.
Even if you tell them 100 times, too often they'll deny you told em' and still blame you.
And want another one for free, of course.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Getting things in writing or signed waivers won't do you any good, if you are putting something up, you've already told him will fail for so many reasons. That's just an obvious admission to guilt. You either do it right and use the correct material or put in writing why you WON'T do it. Only a hack would do something with beforehand knowledge of 100% built-in obsolescence.