• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How should I hang this sign?

Tony Rome

I have attached a picture.
It is like a flag pole and I need to hang a 48" w x 60" h 1" thick piece of Sintra on it.
It is about 13-15' from the sidewalk.
I thought about screwing in two closed eye hooks on the top of the sign (one on the top right one top left) attaching rope to them and throwing the other end of the rope over the pole and pulling it up and tying it off while I climb a 12' a frame ladder? and attach it to the pole with metal sleeves, I can leave the eye hooks in or take them out once other brackets are installed.
What do you think?
I just don't know that two ladders and two guys walking that big heavy sign up is the right way?
I also have to put something on that big window that has stairs in front and not sure how to do that. I do have one of those adjustable shaped ladders maybe that
attachment.php
is the way to go or putting something on one of the lower steps to create one big step.

This may be too confusing, but any ideas?
Not able to rent a bucket truck.

Attachments

• Signs101.jpg
    Signs101.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 131

DougWestwood

Use ladder and aluminum painter's plank

Hi There,

You can rent an aluminum painter's plank very cheap.
It extends to various lengths, and can make an excellent flat standing surface for this job.
I have made a quick illustration.

Good Luck!
- Doug

Attachments

• Untitled-1.pdf
    803.1 KB · Views: 70
I have attached a picture.
It is like a flag pole and I need to hang a 48" w x 60" h 1" thick piece of Sintra on it.
It is about 13-15' from the sidewalk.
I thought about screwing in two closed eye hooks on the top of the sign (one on the top right one top left) attaching rope to them and throwing the other end of the rope over the pole and pulling it up and tying it off while I climb a 12' a frame ladder? and attach it to the pole with metal sleeves, I can leave the eye hooks in or take them out once other brackets are installed.
What do you think?
I just don't know that two ladders and two guys walking that big heavy sign up is the right way?
I also have to put something on that big window that has stairs in front and not sure how to do that. I do have one of those adjustable shaped ladders maybe that
attachment.php
is the way to go or putting something on one of the lower steps to create one big step.

This may be too confusing, but any ideas?
Not able to rent a bucket truck.

Don't have the knowledge for the sign install but the window install. Take a 2"x10"x10' slat with you and lay it on one of the higher steps. Then on the other side(left) put a ladder on the ground and put the 2x10 through the ladder so it comes out a little on the other side. To give yourself some room if the board moves at all. Their you go, scaffolding. YOu could invest in something like this also which might help for hanging install.

http://www.scaffoldframe.com/Indy_Interior_Scaffold_p/mpis12gr.htm

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How long is that pole ??
Seems a little lightweight for a 1" solid piece of PVC. Also, with that kinda weight, you ought to have guy wires on it. Sounds like you're gonna have a lotta swing to that thing.

Oh yeah..... and anyone using that door or stairway is gonna bang the sh!t out of their head.

J Hill Designs

How long is that pole ??
Seems a little lightweight for a 1" solid piece of PVC. Also, with that kinda weight, you ought to have guy wires on it. Sounds like you're gonna have a lotta swing to that thing.

Oh yeah..... and anyone using that door or stairway is gonna bang the sh!t out of their head.

appears that the pole is on our side of the stairs.
but agreed, that thing will swing like a muddafugga

Gino

Premium Subscriber
appears that the pole is on our side of the stairs.
but agreed, that thing will swing like a muddafugga

Holy Cow, I didn't see that. I would never wanna be part of that installation. Liability written all over that.

If ya hafta, rent a bucket truck and do it right. Legally, you can't jerry rig things like that without all kindsa harnesses and ropes tied off here and there. Someone see what you wanna do and you're instal days will be over. How'd you get a permit to hang that without showing means to do it ?? All that has to be spelled out in order to get a permit. They wanna know everything.

Tony Rome

Thanks guys, I am going to look into the scaffolding.
Bucket truck is the right way to go, just not an option for me.
Feel free to keep suggesting.

Marlene

Can't park a van on the sidewalk.

why not? can't you get an obstruction permit? if you can, then rent a lift and install. what did they have hanging off that pole? the same size and weight? has the sign been made yet? why 1" sintra? that makes it super heavy, why not another material

rickzan

If the pole is secured well enough I tie each end of a good rope around the sign so it's own weight makes it tight. Then I lean a ladder against pole arm and then lift as I go up the ladder with a helper pulling up the sign and slack. He holds while I attach "S" hooks. Done!