• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How the hell do I reach this to wrap?

formanek

First time I haven't been able to reach something with my scaffolding. Show me some pictures of how you bridge over the cube van hood and windshield to wrap this airfoil section please! I am thinking of using a section of scaffold on each side of the cab and then building a wood plank from one section to the other over the windshield. Show me oh great ones....

Attachments

• van.jpg
    van.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 112

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you have any pallet racks in the shop they work really well for this. Super sturdy with a wide adjustable work platform.

We have an Asian-Pacific islander installer who is compact & light enough to stand on the hood/cowl & do the install without damage.

wayne k
guam usa

idsignsil

Forklift and a pallet if you have access to a forklift. If not, step ladders and a plank, like the others have suggested.

formanek

I built this out of my scaffold sections. Worked great with 4x4's and 5x6's. Yes I am a fat a##. :)

Attachments

• IMG_8757[1].jpg
    IMG_8757[1].jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 105

phototec

+
QUOTE=formanek;1184349]I built this out of my scaffold sections. Worked great with 4x4's and 5x6's. Yes I am a fat a##. :)[/QUOTE]

Necessity is the mother of invention!

Good job, I have the Werner expendable alum. plank that holds 250lb, it expand from 8' - 13'.

MikePro

+1 ladders+plank
love my little giant system! plank extends to 15', makes for easy wall mural install as well!

they're a bit pricey on the front-end, but these things last forever and I can fit the whole thing in the back of my subaru. ...so they've basically paid for themselves in gas mileage vs. requiring to take my trucks everywhere for the larger scaffold systems I've used in the past.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-23 at 10.42.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-23 at 10.42.15 AM.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 117

formanek

It does not look safe to me...

I would have taken the wheels off the one set of scaffold to even out the height instead of the extra planks on top.

Wheels have locks and getting it higher meant closer to the top of the windshield and a little less hard to reach the ultimate top.

formanek

+1 ladders+plank
love my little giant system! plank extends to 15', makes for easy wall mural install as well!

they're a bit pricey on the front-end, but these things last forever and I can fit the whole thing in the back of my subaru. ...so they've basically paid for themselves in gas mileage vs. requiring to take my trucks everywhere for the larger scaffold systems I've used in the past.

attachment.php

Me likey!

itljcloud

I feel your pain, brother!

You don't know how much it made me grin to see this. I had 8 of these and cussed more than in my entire lifetime.
My method:

Standard scaffolding, with one "X" cross brace taken out of one side lets the scaffolding slide right over the front of the van and actually wrap around the front. I use the Wide Aluminum WalkBoards that hook onto the bars and push it right up to the edge of the windshield, close, but not touching, with a towel doubled up on the front edge for safety. If the scaffolding has wheels it puts it at the perfect height. You just lock the wheels good and make sure the mirrors are folded in tight, and voila!

Make sure to read my facebook post for a good chuckle. Pic attached. vanwrap.jpg

Aflac

+1 ladders+plank

attachment.php

Best money I've ever spent!!! Well worth the investment!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We are in the middle of a big run of these...... also somewhat nightmarish doing the front on these. But...... very nice project - doing a dozen of these plus already did eight 40 foot New Flyer buses and probably 25 more to do in the next year. Doing the same to wrap the front - couple of ladders with an extendable walkboard to do the damn bubble front. These stupid smaller buses take just as long as the big 40 foot ones.

It has not even crossed my mind to use the forklift. We have one as well as a special pallet with a full smooth top we use fro other stuff around the building. Might have to give that a try. Scissor lifts (also have 2 of them), I did consider trying the one with the longer extendable platform and taking the railings off it if, extend the platform and drive right up to the front but you only have a 30" wide platform. It would be like working on the end of a wide diving board. Then considered making the platform extend even further by putting something else on top and coming at it from the side but I started considering the safety of my installers and the potential of them operating this stuff in such close proximity to the buses.

Attachments

• IMG_4960a.jpg
    IMG_4960a.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 117