• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How they make larges volumes of vinyl decals.....

Mosh

Die cut has been used longer than computer cut vinyl. Not cost effective on smaller runs, but doing tens of thousands way cheaper...

TheSnowman

Not too impressed w/ how he applies them...but I guess I'm a perfectionist. The other process is pretty cool.

FatCat

I never knew that vinyl decals were die cut versus cut with a plotter until I came across this video......

Ah, a topic near and dear to my heart...

The machine he is using is a Heidelberg windmill press. Originally a platen printing press that used the old system of a chase and movable type, most were replaced by offset presses back in the 70's. Some are still in use today doing specialized print work or have their inking systems removed and are converted to do foil stamping and die cutting work for paper, carboard, vinyl, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bHClLIBuhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-E7DcVkAQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv69kB_e9KY

Not the sort of thing most sign shops would use unless you're producing runs of decals in the hundreds or thousands all the time. My guess is that this shop is/was a former print shop that already had the press and the know-how to use it this way.

Keith Rae

Dome style decals are cool, I want to make some. Dose anybody know what type of polyurethane is used or where it can be purchased? On small runs or one offs it could be applied with a syringe of eyedropper.
Thanks

FatCat

Wouldn't most large runs be made on a flexo press instead of a windmill?

I don't have much background in flexography, but I don't think a flexo press would be used to die cut vinyl decals. A flexo press uses a flexible polymer plate that lends itself to printing on irregular surfaces like cardboard boxes, foil and plastic food wrappers, etc. Besides, most flexo presses are enormous beasts made to print millions of impressions. (I knew a guy once who ran a flexo press at a plant that printed cereal boxes, 3 shifts a day.)

Salmoneye

When I owned my print shop I jobbed all of my stickers out to a decal shop that ran maybe four flexo presses. The stickers produced would then come on large rolls. I remember that we had to distort our art slightly to compensate for the stretch when the impression was made. His presses weren't very large. All my stuff was offset so I could also be talking out my a$$.

Salmoneye

I just looked it up. Yes this is the type of press that does the die cut stickers that come on a continuous roll. They are fun to watch too, very fast.

FatCat

Ah, you're talking about flexo printing - which yes printed labels could be done very easily on a flexo press. However, the first, err second video in this thread shows a press cutting vinyl decals - not printing.

*FWIW - we have a label shop about 20 miles from us that runs several large flexo presses. They print so fast that they have to use a strobe light to check registration as it runs! Pretty awesome stuff.