• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to add cut lines in Photoshop for Versaworks?

biggmann

I have a couple "customer supplied" pieces that I need to send to the printer and have it cut out. I can do it in Illustrator but no idea on how to do it in photoshop. I have looked online and cant find anything that directly tells how to do it. Is there a way to add a stroke and give it a CutContour name? Or how do I get it into illustrator with the outline and I can do it there!

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
You have to bring the image into Adobe Illustrator. It doesn't really matter what format is used. The original, customer supplied files (JPEG images of mediocre to poor native resolution more than likely) can be placed into an Illustrator document. Then you'll have to create the vector-based cut path within Illustrator. Creating the cut path by hand using Illustrator's various tools will deliver the best results (as opposed to using Live Trace or Live Paint to generate the path). Create a custom color, name it "CutContour" and apply that custom color to the stroke of the cut path you create. Save the finished Illustrator layout as an .EPS file and load it into VersaWorks.

amw

Longtime Members
You can put the line(s) around your image(s) in photoshop and then save as a pdf and open with illy and select the line you made in PS..then change the line color to the cut contor color you have set up in illy. save file and open in VW. We do this all the time. Both ways work. We find that adding the cut line in illy takes more time for us when we were in PS. Now if its vector thats a dif story.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I like the pen tool in Adobe Photoshop, particularly its keyboard short cuts. Those short cuts allow Photoshop's pen tool to work faster/better for manual Bezier path creation than the pen tools in Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW. Photoshop's pen tool is great for creating clipping paths to separate an object in a photo from its background. That's the original purpose of the pen tool. I use Photoshop's pen tool all the time for tracing all sorts of hand drawn items or other "organic" kinds of things.

Unfortunately Photoshop's pen tool and its other vector-based object tools fall short of what Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW can do when the artwork in need of tracing is technical in nature. Even if you're trying to line up clean vector-based type over the top of somebody's JPEG image the results are going to be more accurate when the cut path is built in a dedicated vector drawing program (like Illustrator or CorelDRAW).

OADesign

I have a couple "customer supplied" pieces that I need to send to the printer and have it cut out. I can do it in Illustrator but no idea on how to do it in photoshop. I have looked online and cant find anything that directly tells how to do it. Is there a way to add a stroke and give it a CutContour name? Or how do I get it into illustrator with the outline and I can do it there!

You can find one way of getting it done here:

older post