• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to align to page in Illy?

GoodPeopleFlags

Is there a way to tell Illustrator to center an object on the page? I can align objects to each other but can't figure out how to align something to the page itself.
Thanks!

GoodPeopleFlags

Maybe I'm not understanding. Align to artboard is checked. I have an object that I now want to center in the middle of the artboard. I select it and then do what? Sorry to be a dummy!

TheProfessor

after you click align to artboard you then have to click the icons on the align tab for where you want to align the object. For you, you would need to click the center vertical and center horizontal buttons.

also which version of illy are you using? its not all the same...

doublesky

The way I do it is, make a box with just a stroke the size of the page, center it to that. Delete that box before printing or anything...

GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks Rhino, but I think that guy is using a different version or something. Mine doesn't have the same options as his.

Professor - I'm using CS3. Still, when I click the object, go to Align tab and click the ones your talking about, it doesn't move. I'm thinking that's only for aligning objects so 2 things would have to be selected for that to work. (Align to Artboard IS checked.)

doublesky - That how I've been doing it but I was hoping there was just a "ctrl + (something)" that I could do.

I must be missing something! Thanks!

TheProfessor

on the align tab, there is a drop down menu that says artboard or crop area. I assume you have the word artboard showing on your align tab (which is correct) there is a rectangle underneath that word with another smaller rectangle in the center. If the entire rectangle is gray like the tab, you do not have the feature turned on. If you click on that rectangle shape and it turns black, then the feature is on and shoud work.

rjpjr

Maybe I'm not understanding. Align to artboard is checked. I have an object that I now want to center in the middle of the artboard. I select it and then do what? Sorry to be a dummy!

Hello,

Making sure that your graphic is selected, choose the "align" dialog box. Once open click both commands center and middle. This will not work if "Align to Artboard" option is not checked.

Attachments

• alignment.jpg
    alignment.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 107

GB2

Old Member
Select the items you want centered on the page
Go to the Align Tab and click the options button on the right
Select Align to Artboard
Click the verticle align button below on the Align Tab
Click the horizontal align button below on the Align Tab

GoodPeopleFlags

You're all saying the same thing and that's what I'm doing but the object isn't being centered. In fact, it's not moving at all. Thanks for all of your help, tho! Guess I'll have to keep drawing a box and centering to that. Gotta be an easier way...
:smile:

GoodPeopleFlags

Not locked. I'm starting to wonder if it's really something I'm doing or it's actually the program since I'm doing everything step by step that you all are saying. Oh, well. Just trying to find an easier way. No biggy.

rjpjr

Be sure to let us know if you ever discover what the problem was. Curiosity is getting the best of me. :smile: