• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to apply vinyl into the recessed van window ?

contigo

Hello, Could you please help me with this ? It's the first time I am going to to something like this. I need to lay vinyl inside recessed van window.
I dont know if it is better to cut rectangle shape maybe 1 inch bigger and then cut the shape on the van by hand, or cut exact size and then cut just the rounded corners, or buy knifeless tape ???
Than you very much

Attachments

• qqq.jpg
    qqq.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 130
  • qqqqq.jpg
    qqqqq.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 119

HulkSmash

cut flush with the drop, and lay. If the customer doesn't want it that way, they go somewhere else.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I think Colorado thought you were talking about a full wrap on an old style sprinter van. Those have about a 2.5" gap that is about .75" deep around the windows. If you try to stretch the vinyl in there it will fail. So what he is talking about is you install the vinyl on the high spots and then cut on both sides of the gap and drop the "donut" into the bottom of the recess.

You have a different vehicle and in your case I got the impression you were installing in the window area only. For that I would put knifeless where you want to cut your graphics, oversize the prints, install them, and then use the knifeless to trim to size. Make sure you heat and re-squeegee the edges.

HulkSmash

Sorry but I realy dont know what does the "cut flush with the drop, and lay" mean :/

See attached image.

The red is the vinl, and the black is the van. Bridge it over the channel, cut on the circles. Lay in the recess.

Attachments

• CHANNELS.jpg
    CHANNELS.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 110

contigo

Oh guys you are perfect, thank you very much for your answers. That's exactly what I needed to see.
I also bought the knifeless tape, I will try both method. But it's not a calendered vinyl, just standard polymeric with lamination, so heating the edges will not help me probably.

letterman7

Reheat the edges anyway to make sure they're down. Better safe than have it peel up when they first wash it.

Neat little truck. It's amazing how much that looks like a downsized Sprinter..