Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question how to automate cutting paths on a vector image

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by DrunknMonk, Apr 4, 2020.

1. DrunknMonk

DrunknMonk Member

Aug 23, 2010
    England Uk
    Hi all, In Illustrator, alot of my jobs I have to put cutting paths (CutContour) on my jobs, which I do all the time, my files are made of of multiple colours, that all need a stoke adding (bleed), then a copy placed on top, that's welded together, and made in to a fill colour CutContour, is there an automation that can do this, I spend all of seat time doing this.

Thanks Gary

Examples attached.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. untitled

untitled Member

May 27, 2014
    Canada
    You can do this with actions and using offset path instead of setting a stroke weight as the stroke weight have to be setup individually, whereas offset path will add a new same color object behind the original to provide the bleed. Not exactly what you were asking for, but a work around. See my attached screen shot for how they should be setup. Here are the actual steps.

If not familiar with actions-->
    Select Window -> Actions
    Name it whatever you want. You can also assign a Fkey so that you can run it from there.
    On the bottom click on the symbol to the left of the delete bin to Create a new action
    A new action will be created and will begin recording. So anything you do from this point on until you hit stop will be recorded.
    ctrl+a (select all)
    ctrl+c (copy)
    Select Object -> Path -> Offset Path (settings I used were Offset: 0.05 in; Miter Limit: 4; Line Joint: Miter
    ctrl+shift+a
    (deselect all) Make sure to use keyboard shortcut or the Select -> deselect all from the top menus to deselect. Just clicking on an empty space to deselect won't work).
    ctrl+f (paste in front)
    In the Pathfinder window click on Unite (also known as weld)
    In your Roland VersaWorks swatch window select your CutContour swatch.
    On the bottom of the Actions window, hit the Stop button. (last on the left)

I broke it down as if you were a complete beginner with Illustrator only because I obviously have no idea what your experience with it is and so that it is as easy as possible. I don't mean any offence to it lol.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  3. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I probably wouldn’t even do an action for that, takes about 30 seconds. The results will be quicker but you’ll still likely have to go in and screw around with the nodes on some joins

• Agree Agree x 1